PVC Furniture

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by crashy, Feb 15, 2005.

1. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Hi ya'll
    Does anyone know where I can get some PVC furniture plans for free? I looked on about, yahoo, and dog pile but had no luck. I need to get my dad up off the couch and thought that may do the trick :yeeha: He needs something to do I thought he could make these and sell them. Or does anyone have any ideas of stuff he could make?? Thanks a bunch!!!

2. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I tried some stuff with PVC and it became brittle and fell apart. I was told that it was because of the cold and UV. How is it that this guy is getting away with it?

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Several of his "outdoor" items were made with the beige colored PVC that is hot water rated. Maybe the chemical formulary is a tad different and resists UV damage?

4. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

A reputable PVC furniture manufactrurer uses a different PVC than the stuff found in plumbing or home supply centers. That PVC contains a much higher percentage of titanium oxide to resist deterioration. You should be able to find a supplier on the internet. Be aware that you'll need the fittings as well as the pipe that's UV resistant. FWIW, it is more expensive than the regular stuff. Typically the stuff is shipped by truck, so you'll need to order a larger quantity to make it worthwhile. It's not like going to the supply center and buying a few twenty foot joints of pipe.

5. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Until reading this thread I had completely forgotten about an ex-cousin of mine. (Only met him once, at his wedding in Wash, DC.) About 10 years ago, he opened a PVC furniture shop in DC using his own designs. They were very unique, contemporary-looking pieces, and were VERY expensive. His customers were the elite of DC.

AFter about 2 yrs of successful business, some arabian shiek arranged to meet with him... said he loved his furniture, and had several homes and a palace (or some such thing) in the middle east. He put my ex-cousin under contract, who moved there for a year (or more?) to custom design furnishings for the shiek's abodes. I don't know how much the shiek paid, but it was enough to convince "cuz" to close up the DC shop and move to the middle east for awhile!

I personally thought the stuff was hideous, but I'm not into the contemporary look, anyway. To each his own, I suppose! I thought it looked like fancy playground furniture! :haha:

6. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

7. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

I've had no problem with regular schedule 40 white PVC when outside IF its painted. Blocks the UV. You can get paint for plastic in several colors even at Wal-Mart.

You could fill the tubes with sand if you wanted what you built to have mass and inertia.

8. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

FYI - studies done in Sweden have linked PVC to an increase in testicular cancer. You might want to do some research before you start building.

9. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

PVC furnature is not made with plumming PVC. They look the same but are of a different size and materials.

10. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I think the PVC used is like Schedule 40 electrical. I know the spud guns are made out of sch.80 because of the heat from the lighter fluid used to launch the spud. The plummer PVC gets brittle fast. I made a sprinkler system out of it and learned the hard way.