pvc construction for box storage racks?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by John_in_Houston, Feb 22, 2005.

1. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

My wife runs an Internet bookstore out of our house. We've been using bookshelves up to now, but we think we will get more efficient storage by packing them in boxes.

We have some already boxed up, and invariably when we get an order, the box with the book is at the bottom of the stack. We've also noticed that we can't stack more than three boxes before the weight crushes the bottom box.

I've been considering building racks to store the boxes on and wanted to know what the folks around here thought would be the most economical material to use. What do y'all think about using PVC pipes and fittings, and what diameter pipe would you reccommend using?

2. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

problem with pvc is the weight will bow it as well....

myself i use cement block and 2x 12 for short runs either on end giving 16 inches high or double them up to get up that high too....

shoot those heavy shelves at costco are only bout $60 most of the time and will carry more than those pvc shelves ever could.... and a tax right off if you do that sort of thing.

William

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

iff you make the shelfs 4 foot wide out of pvc at the 2 foot mark you can put a tee faceing up the shelf above it put a tee faceing down will brace it at the bottom shelf tee facing down as a short leg make it shalloow stager the height of the shelf you can store books on end see the title without moveing a lot of books but you will have to secure it to a wall

4. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

We looked at making PVC shelves for our milkhouse and found that we could get moulded plastic shelves at Wal-mart or Home Depot for a third the cost and more strength. I've also had good luck at our local recycled building materials store with used steel store shelves and racks.