Puzzling Pyr problem

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Snomama, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

We have a wonderful Great Pyrenees. She is only 12 months and has done a good job keeping unwanted animals out of our yard. Granted she gets a little carried away sometimes chasing even the squirrels and turtles out :rolleyes: :haha: But overall, we have been really pleased with her.

With my dhs work in the ministry we are gone on weekends often. No problem, the neighbor across the road comes over and feeds our animals.

We were gone recently for a week though to a wedding about 16 hours away. Family thing. neighbors fed our animals. When we got home they told us that the day before our dog had went to a neighboring house about 1 1/2 miles up the road. So....we went and got her, she was happy to see and the family is a young single mother with a few small children. They loved the dog.

NOW>.....when the school bus goes by in the afternoon our dog is following it to their house! :eek: We have to go and get her as she does not come home if we don't!

Why is this???? What can we do to stop her???? We tied her up for a few days this week b/c of her doing this. I am thinking maybe I just need to be aware of the time and bring her in the house in the afternoon so she "misses" the schoolbus???? She is not mad at us or anything, she comes running when we go there and willingly follows us home, but why does she not come of her own accord????

Please help me out!!!!

2. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

No, she's not mad at at you. Livestock guardian dog breeds in general, and Pyrs in particular, understand their world to be everything they can see, and they go and guard it. Or investigate it. Or visit it.

Pyrs are notorious for going "walkabouts". Your only option is to reinforce your fences to keep her at home, and safe off the road.

Fences. It's all about fences.

3. superduperchickenman

superduperchickenman Well-Known Member

when our children caught the bus, our Pyr went with them and came back as soon as the got on & meet them when they got off.

that's a long ways to go and yours doesn't come right back, good fences a must.

4. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

Sooooooo we need to keep her in the fence?

We haven't done that b/c we have two separate fields, sheep in one and goats in another. Actually though the goats don't seem to be bothered with predators.

Three times she has chased off coyotes from the sheep field and last month a bobcat! But we haven't seen anything in the goat field ever.

Okay, thanks. I guess putting a small bucket on her collar tomorrow and putting her in the sheep field is on the agenda! We have to worm the sheep anyway.

THANKS! :eek:

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We had to put up and electric fence to keep our Pyr in. He would get out and roam and then come home on his own. He has a mind of his own and wouldn't come back when we called. We were worried some farmer would shoot him cause we are in cattle country and farmers have to protect their animals from dogs and such.

Since we installed the fence he hasn't "Escaped".

They are wonderful and loyal dogs.

6. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We have 3 Pyrz and I love them to death, but the roaming is a major problem. We have paid over $200 in vet bills for one who decided to guard state land and was caught in a trap. We aren't done with the bills yet..this week he will likely have to have 2 toes amputated. We have electric and mesh fencing (5 ft high), one climbs over it and 2 dig under. The electric doesn't bother them, their coats seem to protect them. They are locked up in a kennel for deer season, as I'm afraid they will be shot. If I let one out at atime, he won't roam. So,I'm rotating dogs all day, and one guards at night. Its a pain!

7. momofeight

momofeight Active Member

This is kind of related, but not really. We had a German Shepherd/ Collie mix. She grew up with the kids, and when the kids began to go to school on the bus, she would jump the fence and run in front of the bus and wouldn't let the bus go! The first couple of times, I would have the kidss get off the bus, and she would happily go back home...but then I'd just lock her in the house while the kids got on and went down the street. Great dog!