putting together beef packages

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by farmerscotty, Dec 2, 2003.

1. farmerscotty

farmerscotty Well-Known Member

does anyone put together packages for families>? if so what is in a package? I am trying to figure out what to put in a family package for a family of 4 and a package for retired people with 2 in the family

Scott

www.realbeef.com
    www.outsidewoodheater.com

Thanks to all on the ideas on "what to do!"

2. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a little experience in that regard having butchered out beef for my family in the past.

For two people:

1 lb. packages of ground beef,
    individual wrapped steaks (like T bones or Sirloin as some retired folks will share and two steaks thawed is just too much).
    Smaller roasts of the two to three pound variety.
    Cubed or stew meat in one pound packs.

I usually find out if they have extended family that will be around during the holidays and include a large pot roast too that would feed a crowd.

For a family of four:

Ground beast in two to four pound "family packs"
    Steaks wrapped two to a pack.
    Roasts of the 4-5 pound size (depending upon the size of the children - if they are teenagers - include the larger size).
    Stew meat in two pound packs.
    Ribs in family packs of three to five pounds (not too much meat on some ribs)
    Liver - one to two pounds (not too many children like liver Ha@)
    Tongue and other innerds - according to what you think folks would like - lots of people won't eat those parts nowadays.

Most folks with families will cook extra and either freeze or use as leftovers in another meal (stew meat can be made into stew, stir fry, etc, ground beef into many things so nothing is wasted).

Hope this helps!
    Sidepasser

3. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Sidepassers advice above is most excellent. The only thing I would only add is that if breakfast sausage is made, the sausage would probably be better made in 1/2 pound packages, just enough to be used up in a breakfast meal. These breakfast sausage packages also make great 'Thank you' gifts for neighbors who have done you a favor, and you wish to repay their kindness. Take up very little space in refrigerator or freezer, yet convey your gratitude.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I second j.r.---sidepasser is right on.

We just placed our order with the butcher shop and that is how our family of two has it wrapped. I like having 2 steaks in a package though. And of course, we like even the arm roasts vs. all of it ground. We even keep the soup bones they'll give us.

Our shop now has shrink-wrapping available for a few cents more per pound.