putting stabill in boat gas

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by SquashNut, Nov 16, 2006.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't know what all the correct names for this stuff are.
    i am trying to put stabill in my Dh's boat fuel. i put the hose connector on the boat motor the way you are supposed to. Put the correct amount of stabill in the tank. But I cannt get the motor to start to circulate the fuel.
    It has one of those hand pump things on the gas hose. i pumped it up, before turning the key.
    the battery gauge is up to 12 before I turn on the key, but goes down almost to nothing, while the key is turned. Is this a battery problem? The boat has been sitting for 6 weeks unused. i don't think the battery is bad just not charged. How many times should I try to start the boat before the battery would be dead?
    He has 2 motors the largest one is the one that won't start. The trolling motor did start. Do I need to turn it on high to circulate the fuel or will idle be ok?
    Thanks for any help I can get.
    I forgot to mention the two motors are connected to 2 different batteries.

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

You don't have to circulate the gas to mix the Stabil. The important thing is that you have added it to the gas tank. That stuff is great....been using it for years now. :)

Put a trickle charge on the battery and see if it holds. If it don't yer looking at buying a new one IMO. :Bawling:

3. SquashNut

Then why did my Dh say we have to put it in the water to do it?
    He doesn't have the time, between work and hunting right now so I am trying to get it done for him. But I am sure the motor has to run for a few minutes to do it. If not why put it in the water?
    i have to do the same thing to the lawn mower also, or drain the gas from it.not sure .

4. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Just a guess here, but maybe he wants you to get the protection in the carb and the fuel lines.

Rick

5. SquashNut

Thats what I thought too. I;m working on putting the trickle charger on the battery. See If that helps. Now I see where I am supposed to double the amount of stabill for extended starage. We won't be using the boat till April so I guess that is extended.

6. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

i think the confusion is that you don't have to run the motor to put the stabil in the gas that will keep the gas from turning to varnish

but what you should do is charge the battery and put the lower unit of the motor in a barrel of water large garbage can works you are not going to put it in gear

now that you have put the stabil in the gas tank
    put the first motor in the barrel of water start it and let it run for a minute or so then while it is running disconect quick disconect on the gas line to that motor let it run till it sputters and dies then repeat on the other motor

this is good
    if you want better you get a can of fogging oil and take the shroud off the engine and locate the air intake for the carburator when you disconect the fuel line while it is running you start spraying the fogging oil in a little bit enought so that you eventualy have the engine running on fogging oil then spay a lot till it kills then put the shroud back on you are done with that and repeat on other motor

we used to do this but havent in years the first has been just fine for us the last several years

7. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Squashnut it sounds as if your hubby is on the right track. Put Stabil in the gas and then run the engine for a few minutes to ensure the treated gas has reached the carberator. That will work just fine for preventing a varnish build-up in the carb over the Winter.

This is exactly what I do for my antique tractors and the carbs stay trouble-free because of it.

8. SquashNut

i just found out i am not supposed to run out the gas on a oil injected motor, which ours is. it would end up clogging stuff with oil.
    put battery charger on and looks like it is not the battery. could be i'll have to just set up every thing for dh to finish the job, and hope he can get the job done before dark.

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If its a newer motor there is probably a fitting on the back to connect a garden hose so you can run it out of the water. On a Johnson or Evinrude you unscrew the fitting where the stream of water comes out the back to show you the water pump is working. This uncovers threads to attach the hose.

DO NOT run the motor without water flowing through it. You will burn out the water pump, and possibly overheat the engine

10. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

On my 15 hp Honda there is a small screw on the side of the carb. bowl, I simply let the screw out to drain the bowl. Love my Honda!

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

A freshly-charged battery should be up around 13.5v (+/- 0.5v). So it sounds like your battery started out on the low side. I can't tell by your post, but did the engine turn over when you tried to start it? If the engine is turning over, make sure you have the choke on.

Once you get the stabilized gas into the engine, and the engine is out of the water, make sure that you drain the lower unit and change the oil. Oftentime water gets in there. If there is water in there and you don't drain it, the lower unit can crack when it freezes.

12. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Outboard engines are water cooled, if you run one without water running through it you can cause major damage; there is a device that looks like a pair of ear muffs that fit around the water intakes, vertical holes in the lower unit, it must be in place before you crank the engine - equiped with running water to keep the engine cool via a pressureized and running garden hose.