Putting New Calves with the Older Ones

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by vger, Aug 25, 2005.

1. vger

vger Member

In March we got 2 jersey bulls (now steers) and bottle fed them. They have been weaned since mid- May. They are doing fine and weigh about 270 lbs. each. I want to get 3 more in November. Will I have to seperate them from the older steers ?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I would want all the calves weaned prior to comingling. Otherwise I do not see that you will have a problem provided all the animals have an equal chance to eat/feed. The larger animals will eat more than their share if the food is rationed.

3. john in la

john in la Well-Known Member

Not really sure what point you are trying to make but here goes............

I would keep any stock brought to the farm from other locations separate from my home stock for a while because of brought in disease. Since these will be bottle calves by the time you have them weaned you will be OK.

Once they are weaned and off the bottle for a week or so to stop ear sucking you can mix them with your other stock. The only problem I can see is that calves that are 9 to 10 months old do well on hay/grass alone and grain is only needed to offset poor pasture but young calves need to be feed grain to grow well.