Putting in a Wood Stove.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fitwind, Sep 2, 2006.

1. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

We are getting ready to buy a wood stove and put it in ourselves. The chimney is already in is their any books or suggestions that we can use to help us put it in. It seems pretty basic but I know there's alot of things we don't know I would be grateful for any help you can give us. Thanks

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Funny you should ask! I was just noodling around and looking for ideas for our wood stoves, and here's a link I found helpful:

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-100.html

Of course, we have to deal with local zoning... One more reason to sell and git outta Dodge. :hobbyhors

Good luck with your install!

Pony!

3. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

Check with ur insurance agent for proper install. Have it added to ur insurance policy. Some ins companies require install by a certified WETT(wood energy transfer tech). We needed a seperate S/S flue for the wood, can't hook an existing flue to a wood burning stove, this is in Canada buy the way.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If the chimey has been used before make sure its clean. And in some places you can only have one heater or appliance per flue so if anything else uses it it could get costly

5. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

How very fun! I don't know where you are in the country, but it is cold enough here that we will light ours for the first time this season today! :dance:

We had to contact the local building inspector about our wood stove because it had to be so far from this wall, so far from that wall, have a hearth that extended out this far...etc. Give your building inspector a call...I think they know all the information by heart!

Enjoy! :)

6. stars01

stars01 Well-Known Member

We just put in our own woodstove this year but it was replacing the one we had for 10 years. Here in Mass some of the things we had to do was make sure how far away combustible material was from the stove-36" from the top or sides of stove. Floor under stove and on three sides to be protected with approved protective material out a distance of 12" from edge of stove. Floor on the loading or ash removal has to be protected with approved protective material out a distance of 18". Flue pipe must not be reduced from appliance to chimney.

That was some of the instructions we received when we obtained a permit to install a woodstove.We bought our woodstove, installed it, got a permit, had the building inspector inspect it, submit the signed permit to our insurance company.

I would say get as much info as you can from your building inspector and insurance company and plan from there. Sorry I have no books that I can think of. We only heat with wood so our woodstove is so very important to us. Best wishes! Paula

7. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, Pete! That's a great site!

THANKS!!

Pony!