Putting dust control on public roads

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lisa in WA, May 6, 2005.

1. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We live close to a county road and while the county finds it in their heart to apply dust control (calcium chloride) to certain sections of the road, they don't have the funds to apply it to our section. Two years ago, they decided (bless their pointy little heads) to add more gravel every spring, so when the logging trucks go barreling past, the dust is incredible. So we sucked it up and paid (a lot) to have EPA and county approved dust control put down along 1400 feet of road, since breathing is such a necessary evil. We look at it as a cost of living in such a great place. The problem is that it REALLY irritates the people who have to slow down to 5 mph in the 12 -24 hours that it takes to sink in and harden up. The dust control driver was yelled at and given the finger by passers-by and people blare their horns at 4 in the morning to show their displeasure. Last year, someone hit the mailbox with a bat. I could understand this attitude in the city, but Jeez...we're in rural north Idaho! As soon as the stuff hardens up, it make life easier on them too. No dust clouds, no skidding on loose gravel. Whats up with these folks? Does anyone else have this done?

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

We used to get it most years and it really does cut down on the dust and the need to blade out the washboard every couple weeks, however, I've never noticed anyone slowing down after application. The county waters the road and the calcium solution is applied. Stays white for a day or two.

If folks are slowing down because they are worried about getting stuff on their rig, maybe offer them a carwash the cheap buggers.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

They don't put anything on our roads and everything is coverd with dust.Its worse over closer to the river with all the Shuttle Buses.

big rockpile

4. hatwoman22

hatwoman22 Well-Known Member

I live in town, we have cement but the roads are so narrow that everyone has to go on the edge to get past each other. It kicks up a lot of dust, the inside of everyones house is covered with dust, even if you vacuum daly.

They flipped the driver the bird?! Geeze louise how rude! I didnt know there was something they could put on the gravel to help with the dust, how cool!

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

they cure that here by spraying oil all over the dusty road.
    yuck

6. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

Yowza!

:confused:

We have people that barrel down our (dirt) roads daily too...and then whine and complain because they're full of potholes and washboard ruts! Some are residents, but quite a few are visitors. Some people just don't know how to drive on a dirt road.

Hey, people, if you drive 40 mph down a dirt road when it's damp/wet from the frequent rain in this area, it's gonna get sloppy! Even if it ain't damp, it's still going to get torn up by cars whipping through.

Gravel gets put down every month or so, but invariably most of it gets flung into the bushes by the end of the day, because of the NASCAR drivers. Fortunately, we don't have the logging trucks.

:rolleyes:

7. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

I've never seen them put anything on the roads here either. In fact, it's like pullling teeth to get gravel put down. Two years ago, they did gravel about 3 miles of road closest to town, but that leaves us a long stretch of wet clay when it rains, and if you've ever driven a wet clay road, you know what a challenge it can be.
    If we go the other way, it's about 3 miles of clay and then turns to sand so when it rains, it's hard for us to go.
    When it's not wet, it's dusty.
    Is that dust control expensive?
    does it hold up in the rain or does it turn sloppy?

8. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

The county gave us the name of an approved dust control company and they use a product called pep, which sprays on like oil (which is what makes everyone so mad) but in 12-24 hours it hardens up to something like blacktop. It is impervious to rain, but has to be touched up a few time throughout the dusty season, which is included in the original price. It costs us about a thousand dollars to do about 1400 feet. Very expensive, but we have to breathe. We've tried asking the county to extend their use of calcium chloride to our section, even offering to pay for it, but they won't.

9. emke

emke Well-Known Member

Does it make much of a mess to put down the oil? We always have old oil around and if we sprayed it on our road ourselves it might make less dust. Our son hates to leave his windows open because the dust rolls in them. I wonder if the county would have any thing to say about it? I guess a call to the court house is in order.