Putting catfood up higher so skunks cant get into it- Possible?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tenacres, Oct 7, 2005.

1. tenacres

tenacres Well-Known Member

Well, the back shed still has a slight smell of skunk from when it sprayed but it's alot better. Someone told me skunks cant climb. Is that true? We keep several bowls of catfood in the shed, which is why the skunks keep going in there at night. However, I dont want them eating it all up, as they have been doing. One skunk can eat ALOT more than a cat! We keep the door ajar because I want the strays to have a place to come in out of the weather. So closing the shed is not an option nor is shooting the skunks....for now. I'm gonna try and deal with them. I was thinking if I put the catfood up higher, keeping it off the floor would help....assuming that skunks really cant climb. Does anyone know if they can?

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

What about taking the food up at night? That's what I do to keep the possums out of it.

3. ralphsmom

ralphsmom Well-Known Member

I put my cat food up on a shelf and found a skunk up there eating it. I've had both skunks and a racoon eating my cat food so now pull it at night. I fill a big bowl in the morning and the cats have all day to eat.

4. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I agree with pick it up. I feed in the morning. What isn't gone by afternoon is picked up. Doesn't take long for you to figure out exactly how much to feed them and just put that out. Cats are smart they will figure out the food is only out in the morning.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

skunks can't climb, but it sounds like the one you have is already 'trained' to come to the cat bowl. Putting it up will keep the skunk from eating it, but it will probably still want to keep coming back if the smell of catfood is present. They'll smell that even if it is up higher. I would take up the cat food every night and spray some pungent stuff like hot pepper spray around the area the cat food was...and maybe the skunk will decide to take up somewhere away from your garage.

6. tenacres

tenacres Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Guess it looks like I'll have to take it up at night. I'm also gonna get some of that hot pepper stuff. That sounds like a good idea, too! Thanks again!

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Skunks can too climb! Had one climb up the outside of a cabin I lived in and moved into the attic. Landlord said same thing happened when he lived there too.

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Skunks can climb at least as well as cats & they like cat & dog food. Feed the pets indoors untill the skunk goes away.

9. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Skunks are not skilled climbers especially not on the level of a cat.

They do have some climbing ability, but they cannot get out of a trash can or window well. They cannot jump at all. Raccoons don't really jump well either, but they can climb just about anything. Skunks cannot go up a tree or downspout like a raccoon.

The best advice was given by moonwolf. Put the food away at night. You will not only attract skunks and raccoons, but support an entire rodent population from a small bowl of cat food left out at all times.