Putting Baby's together?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Helena, May 2, 2005.

1. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I think the 4 month old buck is too big for the little ones yet. I wouldn't put them together. I guess you have been bottle feeding them...not nursing from the doe..right ?? I have just put 2 does and their kids into one big "nursery" pen yesterday...but they are all the same age kids by a day or 2 and their Momma's are there too. Keep them separte for a while yet...until the young ones can get away and butt back a little. I don't think they will mate at this early age yet. Can you partitan off a part of the bucks pen to separte them for now ?? Good Luck !!

2. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

There are places for the little ones to get away from him. He is alone right now except for our dog. He's really mellow. He's been very gentle with them. I don't think that he would hurt them, I was just afraid of him trying to breed with her!

Thanks!
    Lori

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Your four month old buck is old enough and willing enough to try to breed the girls. Not a good idea. They honestly start trying at around 7 weeks and 12 week old bucks have been known to actually succeed.

-Sarah

4. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

The 4 month old buck is old enough to breed. I had a doe deliver last year at 7 months old. Be careful.
    steff

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

steff bugielski, was just wondering, did your 7 month old deliver ok?
    I am on constand guard about that. always watching. and I never keep my bucklings in with the does, after 5 weeks. they just are getting to buckish, and I don't want anything to happen to my girls.

6. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I would think it VERY VERY bad to put the kids in with a 4 month old buck. I have 2 2 1/2 week old kids who I won't put in with even my 6 week old kids. A 4 month old uncastrated male in with 2 week old kids spells disaster and trouble.

Even if he treats them great right now he will start to try and mount them. My 2 month old is doing that right now :no: . I wouldn't even try to set my self up for something like that.

The fact of the matter is that A) he is a intact male and B) he is 4 months old and WAY to big to be put with them no matter how great he is.

I my self was strapped for places but managed to work it all out.

Soon my 2 bucks will be going in a pen by them selves intill they can join my big boys later on.

MotherClucker

7. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Well right now they are in our great room downstairs in the house! LOL!
    Wil it be okay to put the two bucklings in with them?

Thanks for all your info!

Lori

8. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I gotta butt in and ask a stupid question about the doe that kidded at 7 months. Don't the girls have to cycle before they can't get preggo? They can cycle at 2 months???? I mean I see the merit of separating bucks from older does because I understand that they can mate very early. But mate with 2 month old doelings? Is that just a weird occurance, or is that the norm? And if it's normal, then I have to ask again how that happens before the girls start cycling. Not trying to be argumentative....just asking a stupid question.

9. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Just like with humans, goat kids can start cycling at some really early ages. And yes, it has been known to happen at 8 - 12 weeks old. MORE likely the boys could do some serious damage to the girls, regardless of cycling. The boys will try to breed them and can really hurt them. But yes, there is still the possibility of a pregnancy involved.

-Sarah

10. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

Well of course I had no idea she was due to deliver or was even pregnant. One day I noticed discharge and actually thought she was going into heat. Later that day she dropped a stillborn girl. Mom just looked at is as if to say" well I 've never had a poop like that before" and went right on eating. The doe never did grow however and tends not to have much milk.
    Steff