Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an injured Turkin hen. Did not want her to suffer so decided she needed to visit the farm in heaven. DB could not do it, DD could not do it so I wrung its neck. DB was gagging, DD was crying and I was busy being thankful that at least one of us could do it. It did freak me out a bit when it kept trying to run after the neck was snapped, until DD reminded me that this does happen till the body dies. Weird day.

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
Yikes!! Was that your first? Kudos to you for being the one to get it done.
I find a cone and a jugular to be less traumatic.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yep I just had to put one down 2 days ago, a non laying pullet (other hens started laying back in July/august). welcome to freezer camp young chicken.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Sounds a lot better than how dad explained he and his family killed chickens as kids. They walked up to them, grabbed their heads with one hand, and started swinging them in circles til the heads popped off and the body spun away. Then they went and got the body to pluck and eat.
Sounds gross and gruesome to me. I had to do it once and I beheaded it with a machete. Still hated it. Mine were pets.:(

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
I've always used a hatched on the young ones. I did have to check on the last to make sure I had a clean cut. It thrashed so much I was afraid I hadn't. I had, thank goodness.

L

·
0 Posts
Sounds a lot better than how dad explained he and his family killed chickens as kids. They walked up to them, grabbed their heads with one hand, and started swinging them in circles til the heads popped off and the body spun away. Then they went and got the body to pluck and eat
That's how my grandmother did it. It was weird to watch.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I generally use a .22 to put down birds that are sick. I won't eat them if they're sick for obvious reasons. I find that it is very quick. They are usually dead within 10-15 seconds after being shot, sometimes sooner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts