put threads on the ends of rebar?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I have made this rather large structure mounted on logs. It's a pig farrowing duplex! Two farrowing huts in one structure. And since it is mounted on three logs, I can drag it around with my tractor.

At first I thought I would drill a hole in each log and put a bit of cable between the logs. The tractor could then hook a chain up to cable. I would get a fairly equal pull on all three logs.

When I looked around the shop, the only cable I had was pretty small. I didn't think it would hold. And then I found some rusty, bent, frayed 3/4 inch cable. I cut a piece to about the right size and then welded some scrap metal to one end. After a half hour of grunting I managed to get all the bent spots unbent enough and all the frayed stuff through. I then looped it back and put a U bolt on it.

That U bolt wasn't cheap.

And now I'm out of old 3/4 inch cable. And I have another farrowing duplex to build.

I got the idea that I could get a piece of rebar through the holes. Maybe I could bend one end and weld something on to make a "T". And then thread the other end. I have a tap and die set. And a big nut probably isn't going to cost that much.

Then I got to thinking that I have a four foot long piece of threaded stuff. Why not use that? I can picture it breaking in a heartbeat.

I can see the rebar bending, but not breaking. A softer steel I guess. But would a soft steel hold a thread well enough?

What do you guys think?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    How about a cable clamp? Or a drilling and a drift pin? Threading re bar would be a challenge for an experienced machinest. Its soft and brittle to begin with.

3. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

If you have some 2" lumber for spacers between the logs to keep it from flexing, you shouldn't need to worry about an equal pull on all 3 logs. How far between each of these three skids?

You could probably get by just drilling holes for good sized eye bolts (big enough to run a log chain through) on each of the two outside skids. Then, just run a clevis on your tractor drawbar to hook up the chain and your good.

If the pigs are going to be going over these skids to get in and out of those huts, don't want to have anything there that could cut 'em or hang 'em up.

4. Haynes

Haynes Well-Known Member

We thread rebar where I work. It's tricky because it's not uniform.
    We slow the chasers down from normal steel and still break them sometimes.
    Don't know if a hand dye would get it done.

Donnie--

5. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

Weld a bolt or a piece of "all thread" to it,

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Or, you could purchase or swap me for a whole spool of 3/4 inch wire rope 100 plus miles away, or I could even arrange delivery.

Don't know exactly how much is on the spool, all I know is it weighs a ton.

7. Paul Wheaton

What is "all thread"?

Bare,

You have a spool of this stuff? Swap? What do you want to swap? Whereabouts are you?

8. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Paul! How about a photo of this contraption? We have a sow due in June/July and need a plan for a farrowing shed. This plan of your might be the ticket!

9. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

"all thread" is a shaft that is prethreaded and uslay comes in 3' or 6' lenghths, and you can usaly get in most any size , but you may want to check, the supplyer if you need a quality of bolt strength, as it can come in 2, 5, or 8, grades and can be from most any material,

most good hardware stores carry it, the common steel rod,

MSC supply
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=1950

Ace hardware,
    http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pr...theSessionID=58484e4f6c50ba4019ea891268b032fa

Keep an assortmant and some nuts and you will always have the bolt length you need,

10. bare

bare Head Muderator

I guess I can't PM you Paul, there's no PM button on your post. If you are interested in the wire rope, you can PM me. I'm on the Canadian border in Idaho.

11. Paul Wheaton

luvrulz,

I just uploaded a pic here

This is where the hut is about 65% complete. It is now about 97% complete (just need to add some more metal to the roof) - but you get the idea.

farminghandyman,

I have some of that stuff! Yeah - that sounds much smarter! Thanks!

bare,

I turned the PM stuff off because I found it so frustrating to use. My e-mail address is paul@richsoil.com - is e-mail okay with you?