Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a neighbor who just redecorated a bedroom into a study/library and I'd like to make a lamp for it.

I already have lamps (boy oh boy, do I) that I can use for parts. I have a lamp fetish. :) I'd like to make the lamp body to look like books, but don't want to use real books for this project. At first I thought of using wooden blocks and painting them to look like books, attach them together like a stack of books and using that for the base/body of the lamp.

Now I'm thinking of making boxes out of cardboard and then cover them in paper mache', this seems the easier of the two ideas in so much as having a variety of book sizes for visual interest. Also putting a skin of drywall compound over the mache' for added weight and strenght. These would also be painted to look like books (faux leather look).

Any ideas of perhaps going another way with this, or improving ideas I have already?

Here's the look I'm going for, only smaller books...........................

·
HomesteadHopefuls
709 Posts
cool idea... :)
I wonder if the craft books,(looks like miniatures) would work??
hope you post a pic when you get it done I'd love to see what you come up with as I am in the process of creating a library too.
I know, selfish of me huh. :)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I'm taking the easy way out. First, I thought of using cigar boxes with layers of brown craft paper glued on (paper mache'). Then I remembered seeing paper mache' book boxes already made up.....................

So, I'm going to head over to Michael's with my 40% off coupons and check if they have them. If not, I'll probably order them online.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts