pustules on baby rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bridge, Apr 11, 2004.

1. bridge

bridge New Member

Today I Noticed That My Litter Of 15 Day Old Bunnies Have Multiple Pustules With The Fur. The Babies Look Okay, But I Have Never Seen Anything Like It Before. There Is No Sign Of Fireants Near My Hutches. The Pus Pockets Are Superficial And Are On The Legs, Stomach And Arm Pits Of The Bunnies. Any Suggestions.

2. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

Im not real sure but strikes me offhand as a possible parasite problem. So many mammals are born with certain parasites (from mom) so it can show up in young ones. And of course, any mammal can pick up a parasite.
    The sites under armpits, and that they all have it, made me think of certain manges. Skin postules makes me think of certain worms. But Im not real sure. There are so many parasites, and rabbits and parasites are not in my stronger areas of knowledge
    What I would do though, is call the vet and ask them. Parasite problems can be treated easily when caught early. Problem is I am not sure of what is best for bunnies now in this area.
    If someone on the forum knows, then you could try their ideas. When I did rehab, oral Ivermectin was one of my favorites, but to be honest, I cant remember if I used it on bunnies or not.
    I would imagine there are also baths/dusts you can use, but use caution.
    To be honest though, I think checking with a vet is a good idea. I guess I just saw too many kittens in toxin enduced seziures, birds died from dusts (etc) when I worked at an animal hospital. rehab,etc, and I have a strong dislike for over the counter products for mange, fleas, etc.
    There may be good ones though for rabbits. I just dont feel comfortable enough to offer any suggestions.

It may not be some parasite and I may be way off based. But from what your saying, sounds like it may be worth keeping in mind as a possible culprit.

When you do find out what it is, will you let us know? I would really like to hear what you find out and how the problem was resolved.

3. wynterwren

wynterwren Active Member

Hi Bridge,

This subject came up last year and what you're describing sounds like pasturella in kits.

There's an entire thread with info and links on the subject.

http://66.79.179.172/upload/showthread.php?t=35073

If the link gives you trouble..as they often do :rolleyes: The the thread was started by AndreaR on 11-23-2003 with the subject heading Pasturella Infection in Kits. Just do a search by subject on this site.

Good luck..hang in there :)

Suzi

4. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

Super thread!

5. AndreaR

AndreaR Well-Known Member

I had hoped that no one would ever have to go through this again. This is indicative of a major staph infection from the mother rabbit, not neccessarily Pasteurella as the mother had it. And there is no treatment but culling.

I had to destroy all the babies, as two had died on me as I posted last year. The mother was the carrier, and had to be put down.
    The babies were over 10 days old, had the pustules in the sames places you described, which erupted in wet sores within a couple of days, progressively sluggish and they were feverish and too warm to the touch.

I have not had this infection come back.

Sorry, I can't give any better news.
    Andrea