push mower

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jeafl, Nov 15, 2004.

1. jeafl

jeafl Active Member

Does anyone know how I would go about sharpening the blades on a push lawn mower? I bought one used, but it is so dull it won’t cut my yard. Also, the blades have squared off edges; they don't look like they ever had a knife edge. Is this normal?

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Are you sure it doesn't have a de-thatching blade with the tines missing?

3. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

As odd as it sounds: Take the wheels off and reverse them. This makes it so that when you push it, the reel will spin the opposite direction. Next, put grinding compound on the reel edges. Adjust the clip bar so that the reel barely spins. Push your mower around for 20 minutes. Reverse the wheels again.

See http://www.richsoil.com/lawn/index.jsp

4. jeafl

jeafl Active Member

I couldn’t say one way or the other about the de-thatching tines. I’ve never been able to see a new push mower up close. I think my local Home Depots have push mowers, but they’ve never had one out of the box and assembled. I’ll try to have a look next chance I get.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

First let's understand exactly what type of mower you have. Is it an engine powered pushmower with a single flat blade? Or is it a reel type old time push mower where the blade rotates when the wheel turns?
    If it is an engine powered flat blade mower the blade should be sharpened with a beveled edge on one side and it must be balanced.
    If it is a reel type mower whether push powered or engine powered the blade is sharpened as someone else posted by rotating backwards with gringing compound. A reel type blade acts like a scissor so the blade edge is sharpened like a scissor.

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Take the mower to your local small hardware store. Someone there is bound to know if the mower needs sharpening, and how to go about it. They will probably sharpen the blades for you for a small fee. They will know if the mower is in good working condition, and be able to tell you how to properly care for it.

I used a push mower for years. If the grass isn't too long, and the blades are sharp, it's not hard. Now, I use sheep.