Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"ve had them since late October and after sacrificing a couple- planted them unsprouted and they rotted- I decided not to plant any unsprouted potatoes.
The Rose Finn fingerlings were good to sprout.
Purple Vikings and Caribes were good to sprout.
Yukon Golds - the seed potatoes just sprouted 2 weeks ago but the bag I bought at Publix for cooking purposes has eyes sprouting on 1/3 of them- they're for the garden now, not the table.
Desires were good to sprout.
Unnamed baking type potatoes gotten from the SHAREFLORIDA food program have contributed about half their numbers to the garden as their eyes sprout.
The purple peruvuians are NOT showing any eye development at all.
As I mentioned, I planted out a few when i got them- because they are long-season- wanted them to be ready to harvest by the time the temps get too hot for tubers to form -they rotted.
What more can I do? I tucked some onions into their sack before we went to the lake- maybe an onion will stimulate development? Help, anyone? How can I get those eyes forming?

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Where did you get those purple fingerlings? If they were freshly dug in October, they could still be within their normal dormancy period. I've got German fingerlings which came out of the ground around 15 October and they haven't shown any sign of sprouting yet.

Martin

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Pcquebot. I got em from Ronningers. I assume they were freshly harvested at the end of their season and mailed to me late October. Should I put them in the fridge to break their dormancy? I'm thinking that lay year I dug the last of my poatos in late May.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gabriel- I have em on a slab of cardboard moving around the yard to stay in the sunshine at least 4 hours a day. Here in S FL zone 10 lake area is 70-80ish days and 50sh nights- city zone 11 is 80ish days and 70ish nights. I can't allow them a dormant period or we run into way, way toohot and humid weather at the harvesting end.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
If you got them from Ronnigers in October, they were likely fresh out of the ground not long before. Every variety is different and there is no guaranteed method for breaking dormancy. If they haven't gone through any cold period, that may be why there are no sprouts yet. If you can refrigerate for 3 or 4 weeks at 50ºF, that should be enough. At the same time, you could plant them in 50º soil and theoretically obtain the same result.

Martin

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Pacquebot. I'll try refrigerating some and plant some next weekend and only water once a week. Don't think the soil temps here are down to 50-Most nights it doesn't get all the way down to 50...Maybe I'll pack them in damp sand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts