Purple Paint on Fence Posts, ???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sunflower-n-ks, Sep 27, 2008.

1. sunflower-n-ks

sunflower-n-ks Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen purple paint on fence posts and trees, etc. And recently even on paper or cardboard posted close to gates.

I assume it has to do with hunting, but dont know what it means.

2. Lynn Bodoni

Lynn Bodoni Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that it means "No trespassing, no hunting".

3. CGUARDSMAN

CGUARDSMAN Well-Known Member

In MO it means NO TRESPASSING.

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

It's the same as posting a no trespassing sign in Missouri ( and in Arkansas too I believe)

The exact legal requirements are:

Any owner or lessee of real property can post property with the purple paint marks.

Purple paint marks must be placed on either trees or posts

Vertical paint lines must be at least 8 inches long

The bottom edge of each paint mark must be between 3 feet and 5 feet off the ground.

Paint marks must be readily visible to any person approaching the property.

Purple paint marks cannot be more than 100 ft. apart.

You trespass on property marked with purple paint or no trespassing signs you can be charged with First Degree Trespass which is a Class B Misdemeanor with potential punishment of a maximum $500 fine and/or a maximum of 6 months in jail.

If you're armed while doing so there are enhanced penalties if I remember correctly. Also if the person has an Injunction or a Cease and Desist Order against the individual trespasser or a specific entity (such as hunting guide service or outfitter who encourages, allows or directs others to trespass on your property) then there are other penalties in addition to the First Degree Trespassing charge.

5. sunflower-n-ks

sunflower-n-ks Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, the power of purple paint..... :)

Thanks for the information. Now I won't have to guess at what it means.

6. ozark mike

ozark mike Well-Known Member

Quint is right...purple paint means that the land is posted...mike

7. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Just a "aside" remark--new neighbor moved on the farm next to ours, and seeing our purple paint markings, painted his too---in blue paint!!!

8. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Correction:

"If you're too stupid or lazy,"

Sorry. Pet peeve.

9. glenn amolenaar

glenn amolenaar Well-Known Member

Faithful One,
    It is not a matter of lazy,it is very simple to spray or brush and the legal hunter knows what it means. In MO. it means no hunting and the paint is sold as "hunter purple". Signs are destroyed by weather and low life types of people, As for the LAW you must live in town call in on vandalism good luck they most likely will loose the call. Oh gosh this will upset you we kill and eat wild animals and help control then population.
    Glenn

10. glenn amolenaar

glenn amolenaar Well-Known Member

Great post I was so upset I couldn't post what I felt. You did a great reply. I get upset and the ones who enter our property and talk face to face usually do not come back or even drive down our road. Glenn

11. suitcase_sally

65284, the poster posts some other really stupid stuff. Click the user name and read other opinionated drivel.

12. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

I think that Faithful One is trolling. A person who is so Christian that they don't even believe in retirement funds (and never returns to comment on their thread) who would deface other people's property?

Back to the purple paint thing. Driving down 76 from NY to Pittsburgh, there are a few giant purple prism things hanging from trees. The first thing that came to mind was purple paint, but I don't know how many people up here know about that. Anyone in the area care to enlighten me?

Kayleigh

13. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Had a guy walk on my Place while I was hunting.I stopped him.He said he didn't know.I took him right back to the tree that he had just walked by,showed him the Paint and told him I didn't want to see him here again I guess word got around because everyone knows.Plus they know I have Cameras up.

big rockpile

14. Bonnie L

Bonnie L Well-Known Member

Poor spelling & punctuation throughout the entire post! The sentence fragments I quoted make no sense whatsoever. Since when is privately owned land "publicly held?" And what is wrong with wanting privacy? If I wanted everyone to know my business I'd set up housekeeping in the town square. I wonder if "Faithful One" (faithful to what or whom?) would want strangers setting up tents in her/his front yard? If not, what is he/she hiding? :mad:

15. suitcase_sally

Yeah. What religion is it that says "Thou shalt not provide for thyself. Thou shalt spend ones money freely and then beg from others when too old to provide for thyself." Is that the religion called "Gubment will gimme what I need, amen"?

16. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Around here red paint on the fence posts means no trespassing. I figured in KS it meant they were K State fans.

17. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i think they might be mosquito traps to check for west nile virus.

18. ksfarmer

ksfarmer Retired farmer-rancher

K-State fans might have influenced the color. :bow: What the paint actually means in Kansas is "No Hunting without Written Permission". That is exactly what it means and a game warden can arrest anyone for hunting on private property without permission, if they don't have a written permission slip. Prevents anyone from saying, " Oh the owner said we could hunt here."

19. weedlady

weedlady Well-Known Member

20. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Im not sure where the purple paint thing came from but I can assure you that not everyone knows it means no tresspassing.

Before I knew what it ment I stopped several times to look at purple posted areas and try to figger out what it was all about . I tromped deep into a few areas trying to see if there was a meaning and was always disapointed that I didnt see any thing special.

Id think a few no tresspassing signs along with the purple paint might help a lot. After all most folks can read but not as many are from the purple paint law states.