Purina goat minerals?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

As a previous post stated, I think my herd has a copper deficiency. I went looking for sweetlix, but I guess there aren't enough goats in my area for a sweetlix supplier to supply goat minerals. :( I got the purina minerals, and the LOVE them! I fed a handfull to Andre alone, and I also caught him in the mineral holder, too, lol. Hopefully his hair will start growing back now. Also, He lost hair on his nose and ears. I think the hairloss on his nose is from him playing and butting around his tire swing, but I don't know what the hairloss on his ears is from. We'll see what the minerals do!

2. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

Careful of copper...you can get too much fast! Goats need far less copper than horses or cattle so stick with the goat preps and they should balance out fine. We free feed the Purina goat minerals, and baking soda, in separate containers and let them do the balancing...

3. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Goats with deficiencies normally will eat a lot of minerals when it is first offered. Don't worry, if fed free choice, their intake will level off. Also, recent research now shows that goats need as much copper as horses and cattle.

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I was surprised that they ate it. I was so used to never seeing them eat it. I saw my buck, Andre, the one that had patches and discoloration to his coat, go eat minerals twice in the short time I was out there today! (rainy, I couldn't play with my goats :() I have also seen all of my goats in the mineral holder at least twice since I got them. The minerals I had before had WAY too much salt in it.