Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ma is half Tam 1/4 York and 1/4 Hamp. Dad is half AGH and half Berk. Just put a five and a half month old through the processors that weighed 210. Feeding pasture, (grass/ oak woods) a few waste apples and just enough grain to keep them tame.

Attachments

·
(formerly Laura Jensen)
2,479 Posts
Good-looking pigs, except for the black one in the shot with three pigs. That one looks like he's starving to death. What's up with him, do you suppose? Worms maybe?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Female, she's not starving, just not as big as her brothers. She will catch up just fine after they are gone. She is sporting an extra couple of teats compared to her mom so she will be hanging around for a while, maybe for a long while.

·
(formerly Laura Jensen)
2,479 Posts
Actually, it wasn't her size, but rather what looks to be clearly visible shoulder blade and pelvic bone structure that makes her look skinny to me. Maybe it's just the lighting. Or maybe I just like over-fat pigs! :)

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She does take after her mom, very leggy. Now that I pay attention, I believe that there is a stick behind her hip. Shoulder has a dry spot where she was laying against one of her brothers. Thanks for helping me realize what a poor photographer I am!

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Good-looking pigs, except for the black one in the shot with three pigs. That one looks like he's starving to death. What's up with him, do you suppose? Worms maybe?
Could be the angle of the shot. Look at its fat around the neck and the hams on that pig. It is in good shape.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This makes for a pretty good case study on genetics. When you cross a purebred on another purebred, the results can be pretty consistent, almost cookie cutter at times. My sow had brothers that were almost just like her. When you cross two or more crossbreds, all sorts of things happen. No real consistency. I had two decidedly Tamworth featured pigs, (the little gilt being one) tall and slab sided. Two were guinea featured, like the red pig above, very fatty and short muzzled, three grew more like bluebutts, very commercial typed. If I wanted to start a breeding program, I would have to pick the phenotype I liked and breed like to like, selecting for that phenotype. Could take many generations for type to be set. But seeing as how they are all made of bacon, I could just breed some pigs together and eat the offspring, that works pretty good , too.

Sometimes people on here ask what happens when you cross X with Z, just thought I could illustrate a few possible combinations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts