Pure maple syrup prices?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Just wondering what pure maple syrup is going for in gallon size in your area?

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

it is hard to find in bulk locally, but the per pint price is surprisingly low at the mennonite butcher shop i patronize. @ $6 per pint.

i made some for the first time last year. i experimented with various evaportation heat sources. i tried wood heat on a standard stove, propane burners and the electric stove. the propane was a big disappointment for the money it cost me. the woodstove consumed too much wood and required too much attention. without having an actual wood burning "arch" and evaporator pan, the most economical method was the electric stove. i cannot really afford to get a good set-up for this year. electric has also increased in price by 30% where i live. i may or may not tap big time this year. last year i had 20-30 taps. i was going to double that this year.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Last April in Ohio. I bought A Quart for $10.00 gallons were $30.00 That was at Rogers at the flea Market on Fridays

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

The going price around here (western Wisconsin) has been $8 a quart, or $30 a gallon, sometimes less, if you buy it from a producer. Sometimes a bit cheaper in season, if you pick it up hot out of the cooker. Of course it is more in stores.

5. Ralph in N.E.Oh

Ralph in N.E.Oh Humble Shepherd

Northeast Ohio...60 minutes east of Cleveland
    My farm gate price is $6.00 per pt, $10.00 per qt, $18.00 per 1/2 gal, and $30.00 per gallon.... plus UPS shipping .. The grocery stores are much more.

6. heidith

heidith Well-Known Member

We bought our winter's supply, here in NY state, at $30/gallon from a farmer with a road-stand. It is, of course, the best. :))
    Heidi in NY

7. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

MELOC

What Ive done in the past was to obtain a food grade steel barrel make sure it was shinny clean inside and do a hard rough boiling over wood, always keeping it at least half full and never even trying to "boildown" in it but reducing the water by afactor of 4 or so. Thus 100 gallons of sap becomes 20 then I took that 20 and another 20 and put it in another barrel like the first that I kept at a very low simmer and boiled it down agin to about 20. By this point its getting finicky so I put it 5 in to a old large round flat milking machine bucket and carefully boil it down on the stove top adding 1 gallon at a time till it hits the right concentration.
    Point is you can boil it pretty hard at first when its just sap with a 1-5% concentration and if you use the wood to reduce it by even half you save a ton onpurchased fuel. But as it nears finished its a lot more persnickity and a finer touch is called for.
    Truthfully mine seldom gets to the stovetop I find a much less concentrated than commercial level is fine with me,tons easyer to make. I dont sell I just give mine away so none of the "customers" complain!

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

the local beekeeper sells bulk honey he harvests, and also brings in from his sources of eastern Ontario, barrels of maple syrup he sells in bulk of any amount you prefer at the farmer's market. He has 2 or 3 grades of thickness. Haven't bought any lately, but in the store it's about $7 for a 500 ml bottle.