Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our chihuahua puppy is 16 weeks old now and an absolute joy! She is well mannered, crate trained, house broken and loves her family! And she is a great watch dog!!

HOWEVER, the problem comes when her sister comes to visit -- (we live next door to her and babysit about 4x a week for a total of 16-20 hours a week)

They fight terribly---- lots of wrestling, arguing and it ends up with some serious fighting.... then off to their separate corners and they cool off and they are friends again....

I think the problem is that while Jazz (our dog) knows her place in our pack, as we have done the alpha training since getting her.... but her sister DOESN'T.... she runs the show at their house and comes over here and tries the same thing..... She potties about 60% of the time inappropriately, chews on EVERYTHING, gets into things, fights with Jazz and growls when corrected.... I watched her try to hump Jazz the other day.... Dominance.... I know.....

IS IT THE FACT THAT SHE DOESN'T RECOGNIZE ME AS THE PACK LEADER HERE??? OR ANY HUMAN FOR THAT MATTER? Should I be crate training her the same way as I trained Jazz -- even if her family won't continue at home? So at least she will behave when we "babysit" her?

I have grounded them from playing together for a few days while I search out some answers for this "behavior" -- of course when I talk to Mocha's momma she doesn't SEE a problem... just a cute puppy who is being a puppy.... I on the other hand, see more and find that they are going to be in serious trouble if this stuff continues.....

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I think you are right. You can start with using the crate, putting her in it when she first comes over, then letting her out of it for intervals. Train her to sit, reward for sit and nothing else until she learns another trick. But, my niece's chihuahua (byb) cannot sit, so if she can't sit, teach the down.

Chihuahua's mature very quickly. Mocha's owners were probably too lax with her housebreaking routine, so she thinks that carpet (or whatever surface they have indoors) is the correct surface for relieving herself on. You need to work on the pottying thing NOW, and so does the other family or Mocha will NEVER be housetrained. The crate can go back and forth between houses. Both houses must be diligent about feeding on a schedule and bringing her outside, on leash, at the right time so that Mocha only pottys on the correct surface in the correct spot. Give her a tiny sliver of treat every time she pottys correctly. If they are feeding her a low quality diet (corn based) she will need to potty much more often than if they feed her a high quality diet.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sounds like she is the dominant one at her house so when she comes to your house she wants it to be her territory as well. I would definitely use the crate to train her while she is at your house. This won't cure the problem but it should help to keep your dog safe. Both dogs need to be taken somewhere like a park where it is neutral and work on getting along. After awhile the other dog should get the idea that it isn't his house and he is not the leader. Going to the bathroom on your carpet is another way of marking her territory.

Just please be careful, I have two small (4lb.) girls(dogs) and when they were about four years old they started to play but one is a little stronger (even though the other is the alpha) and it turned into a terrible fight. In short, one of the alpha's back legs got broken in two places. Small dogs can do alot of damage!

Just so you know, even with a broken leg the alpha was still in charge and still is to this day!

·
Registered
946 Posts
You might have to do tough love and let Mocha's mamma know that unless she works on retraining her puppy, Mocha will no longer be welcomed in your home. There is no reason why Jazz should be punished for Mocha's behavior. Do you think she is enjoying these visits? And the way Mocha behaves wouldn't be any worse then her being home alone.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
It is not just about what she is being taught at home...you have 2 bitches that are trying to work out an order of dominance between themselves. Fatcats advice is good as is Maura;s. Use a crate, not as punishment but to house train the visiting sister. Teach the visitor to obey you...you are pack leader in your home. Even if your neighbor is not going to be good about housetraining her, you can at least have her house trained at your house once you establish that YOU are pack leader. Have her sit for cookies along with yours. Any stares, growls, etc from either pup are met with a quick roll onto the back with hand on chest and eye contact until the pup looks away- you do not want to be rough, just firm enough to keep her from wiggling away. Then let her up. Once she is learning her place, then you can ease off on the rolls and try a warning- but if warning does not work, go back to rolls. I suggest starting with the rolls as you need to make it very clear in her mind that you are alpha NOW. Hormones will be kicking in and you want this settled before then.
Deetu, Jazz needs to learn to deal with and socialize with other dogs, so yes, I do think this is good for Jazz as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts