puppy surgery site question

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by SquashNut, Dec 16, 2006.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

We just got a new puppy and she was fixed when we got her ( 4 days earlier). The area around the site was warm for a few days and a bit lumpy. The temp has gone down, but it is still lumpy. Is this OK? She is a real go getter. All over the place all the time, seems happy and healthy. Eats very well and pees and poops normally.
    We've tryed to keep her calm and quiet, but that has been impossible. She has our poor year old catahoula wore out trying to keep up with her.
    From the out side it looks pretty good, but I need to ask, don't want to put off a potential problem.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

It's always good to crate train a puppy. If she was crate trained, you could let her play awhile, then crate her with a chew toy.

As for the vet, best to call your vet on that one.

3. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

If she was just fixed, I assume her stitches are still in. You will need to take her to the vet to take them out, unless you know how to do it. I would call the vet and ask but I think by what you are saying... All is well. My dog was fixed not to long ago and her stomach looked yucky but she was fine. I let the vet take her stitches out because her stomach looked funny but after the stitches were out for a week it looked normal. Hope this helps
    Susie

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Are the "lumps" mostly at the ends of the incision? That's where the knots on the inner stitches typically are (if the vet used a running stitch and just tied the ends, if they used single stitches it might be lumpy the whole length of the incision). If the "lumps" are due to stitch knots, they will go away when the stitches are absorbed. There might not be "outside" stitches that need to be removed, the HS around here uses glue instead of skin stitches.

If in doubt definitely call your vet.

5. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Maybe she healed keloid...that bumpy scarring that some of us people get...try having a keloid scar from an episiotomy... :Bawling:

6. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I think they must have done a whip stich on her. She is healling up nicely. Just a bit of pink where she scraped off some scab going over a divider we have to our back bed rooms.
    Need to make the divider higher. I can just barely get over it now and she climbs over it no problem.