Puppy shoots FL man

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Sep 9, 2004.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Read this just this morning on my local paper online:

Puppy Shoots FL Man As He Tries To Kill Litter

New Media Producer: Kerry Corum

Deputies say a man in Pensacola, Florida, who was trying to shoot seven puppies was shot by one of the dogs.

The man was holding two of the shepherd-mix puppies when one of them wiggled and put its paw on the trigger of the man's .38-caliber revolver, making it discharge.

Escambia County deputies say 37-year-old Jerry Bradford was shot in the wrist and was treated at an undisclosed hospital.

To top it off, the sheriff's office issued an arrest warrant charging Bradford with felony animal cruelty.

He says he was shooting the three-month-old pups because he couldn't find another home for them.

Three of the puppies were found in a shallow grave behind his house, the other seven were taken by animal control, which intends for them to be adopted.

Source: AP, All Rights Reserved.

2. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

3. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Good Dog! Too bad that he couldn't have shot him again! :haha:

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'm not going to argue whether he was right or wrong about shooting the dogs, but FELONY cruelty????? Seems a bit much?? He could have done something really cruel, like dumping them on some country road to starve to death.

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

or at the end of some poor unsuspecting person driveway because they see animals in their yard/field. :no:

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

You've got that right. Years ago I was hired, along with a mess of other kids, to catch cats. This farm was overrun with cats because it was the first place outside of town and people would drive up and fling Fluffy out the window where she'd find a "good home" because everyone knows farms need cats :no:

Our job was to find the litters of kittens and catch every one we could. Adults stalked the adult cats, live trapped them, and then all of them went down to the humane society. I'm assuming (although I was just a kid then and I assumed otherwise) most of them were put down on the spot.

We caught over 60 cats if I remember correctly. Most in such a condition it would make your hair curl. It would have been a kindness to most of those animals to have been shot in the backyard instead of dumped.

Providing the bozo was a good shot. It doesn't mention if he was winging them to death. Which, I assume, is where we get such laws from.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

You know, he did have another choice - spaying the mother dog. To bad he didn't think about that one! Bet it would've been cheaper than all the legal fees he'll have to pay...plus his medical bill for being shot by a puppy!!!

8. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

"To top it off, the sheriff's office issued an arrest warrant charging Bradford with felony animal cruelty."

Shooting his own dogs is a political crime not a real one.

9. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

That's a true case of self defense!!!

10. southerngurl

Hey , you never know (I tend to give benefit of the doubt) could of even been a pregnant stray he took in. Not likely, but you can never be sure. Our dog was pregnant when we got her.

11. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

When I first read that article I thought that he was truely horrible, but then I realized, thats what the pound is probably going to do anyway, just not with a gun.

12. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Any human that harms animals in that fashion deserves to be summarially executed. Anyone that harms a critter of mine would end up being coyote bait in short order. Too bad the first puppy didn't pull the trigger and shoot that waste of DNA in the head.

Yes, I eat meat and yes I deal with predators that try to eat my livestock. But I don't kill just for the sake of a thrill. That man deserves whatever he gets, but it still isn't enough.

That is my view, you are free to disagree.

13. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

RP, what ever in that article made you assume that he was killing puppys for the thrill? You assume way to much. I have much more respect for a man (or woman) who kills thier own unwanted animals rather than foisting them off on others to kill. Unless some unsavory unmentioned motive existed, I have far more respect for him than I have for you.

14. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

15. torade

torade Well-Known Member

He probibly just didn't want to pay the surrender fee to the pound for each puppy. That's around $50 some places. The pound needs to pay for all that gas somehow.
    Funny story thanks

16. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Bingo!

17. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

I read this and i admit, i thought ok ... that wierd, i think its a shame that he was charged with cruelty ...

this because i had to argue with an AC agent a charge on the same thing , for shooting and butchering one of my goats, apparently my neightbor saw, and thought it was cruel ,
    the only way i wiggled out of it , was explaining to the agent, that that was what he was smelling on the grill, and the skin i was scraping was the animal i was charged with cruelty for, it was a lot of nonesense in my farming opinion, but the city gal neighbor, thought(according to the complaint ) that it was a DOG i had shot ..... umm... yeah , dogs dont have horns ...... :yeeha: after talking with him , and all, he was like, ummm... next time , do it behind the barn ...

and as for unwanted puppies/kittens.....
    i called the vet this week , i have 2 female cats that need spaying
    i was told 20.00 for pre surgical check up , plus 28.00 for various shots, then wait 1 week , another 14.00 for shots, and then 65.00 for the spaying... over $100.00......

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

When the ex-Tarzan film star's tiger escaped from his enclosure (suspected the locks were jimmied) a woman volunteered her pig for bait. She took the pig over to wildlife officials in the trunk of her Cadillac. She was charged with animal cruelty by the Palm Beach County Animal Care and Control because of the potential for temps to get into the 100s quickly. She says her trunk is air conditioned. Same kind of issue, imo: animal "rights" as opposed to animal "welfare." While the guy was not thinking clearly, his motives are not known nor is the act of killing his own puppies cruelty imo. Pounds have rounds of parvo wipe out entire kennels of pups when one infected pup has come in. Many pounds are far more cruel than a shot to the head. Where I worked they were held down while given an injection to the heart and then tossed into a pile of dead animals while still alive. That was the same PB Animal Care and Control that issued the cruelty citation for the woman transporting a pig in an air conditioned trunk. Of course, the only humane way to deal with unwanted animals is to prevent pregnancy to begin with. My 2 cents.

19. southerngurl

:eek: :eek: I don't think that is how they do it these days. I hope. :waa:

20. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

When I first saw this I thought someone had dredged up the old one-liner:

"A dog limps into a bar and say, 'I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.'"