Puppy Linux

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HermitJohn, Feb 7, 2005.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Ok, couple people were interested in Puppy Linux from my post in the Kim Kommando spyware thread. Here are couple screenshots from my desktop. This first one is just my desktop wallpaper of the moment, needed something bright and springlike for middle of winter. Ok, second pic is of Firefox browser looking at HT site. Somehow snapshot utility cliped off tray/startbutton but in real life they are there when running most programs. Third is screen shot of abiword running. Abiword is a great free wordprocessing program. There is a windows version also. Put it on my ex's XP computer. Fourth shot is desktop again with different wallpaper. I tried but couldnt seem to get snap of desktop with start menu expanded. I know its possible, as I have seen others post such. This however is first time I've used xpaints snapshot utility.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HermitJohn

Ok, figured out the problem. The desktop is the lowest window. The tray is layered on that. When I open Firefox, that is also layered on the desktop, actually covering the desktop. So the snapshot utility in xpaint only takes pic of the window clicked on and higher windows. I am sure there is a way to properly do what I want, but I cheated a bit and moved top of Firefox to reveal just top of desktop and clicked in that tiny space. Anyway here is Firefox showing part of Puppy Linux website homepage:
    [​IMG]

and here is xcalendar opened on desktop. Neat little program, current date is in blue. Click on any date and you can leave yourself notes/reminders. That date then turns grey. I really need to use this more, but never was big on schedules.

[​IMG]

3. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Downloading puppy as i type ...87% of 51.9 MB ...
    Thank goodness for 'free download manager' , though
    under puppy i would probably have to use wget to
    keep continuing my download each session ...
    Currently I have Damnsmalllinux on my USB flash key,
    but after seeing puppy, i think i want it !!!

4. HermitJohn

Puppy is just plain friendly with enthusiastic support. If you like small linux distributions, take a quick look at Astrumi Linux. Simular to Puppy, but the developer is Latvian and doesnt speak great english. I still havent managed to get it installed to a hardrive partition although it boots ok from cdrom. Somebody finally posted on their forum that he had same problem with latest version, but one version back installed fine. I have dialup so havent been enthralled enough to download previous version especially since I spent several hours getting version I have now. 50mb takes me several hours to download.
    http://cyti.latgola.lv/ruuni/index_en.html

Little bigger download level, look at Beatrix Linux, SAM linux, and of course Morphix. Morphix is interesting, especially the Xfce "light" gui version. There is also a Morphix version loaded with mostly just linux games. I still havent gotten around to downloading that one. May just someday buy it from one of those cheap linux cd places on the net.

5. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

Err.... puppy doesnt support my 'PCTEL Platinum v.90' modem, and cant use the drivers i had for DSL. Something about the kernel and modules compiled under different versions of GCC ......

6. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I burnrt a copy of Knoppix ver 3.6 16-aug-04 and carry it to places where i work i other peoples machines.... itvallows a complete loading of the system and will also allow me to look at all the windows files without installing it onto their computer....

Simple to use and when you are done you logout, and it ejects the cd as it shuts down the machine, I have come across a couple modems it did not like, one in my own dell [shhhh dont tell anyone i got one a few years ago before the dude youre gettin a dell thing was hot]

anyway its a cool item to ave laying around cause if your machine locks up on windows from a virus, you can go retrieve files you had ot got around to burning onto a cd yet, then wipe the beast and start afresh.....

I love the old unix systems they were so stable.... and those OS that are offshoots are almost as stable..... and so simple to install.

Knoppix gives new definiton to "I rooted your girlfriends boxand didnt use a trojan!"

And i see Puppy could do the same and maybe more.... ahh yet another utility to use.

William

7. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

ts is that is a winmodem you might have problems...

winmodems are the devil!

8. HermitJohn

Try posting on Puppy discussion board. That modem sounds familiar. Think somebody else posted about it. By way any drivers not included in Puppy have to be compiled with Mandrake 9.2 (thats what developer has been using to compile Puppy, I think), as Puppy doesnt have compiling capability in order to keep size down. Ask on the board though, somebody may have already done the hard labor and will share. Try a search on the Puppy board also. Just sure that modem sounds familiar for some reason.

9. HermitJohn

Took a look, pctel winmodem driver is sorta built into Puppy, sorta not. Did you go through the modem wizard script?

Look for the ttySL0 button. It will give you the No, No, No warning and tell you to download "slmodem.tgz" from Puppy website and place it in the /root/my-applications folder then reboot Puppy and run modem wizard again.

To do this either you have to at least have the PUP1 file somewhere on your hardrive or other writable media. Otherwise when you reboot, slmodem.tgz would disappear since otherwise you are running in RAM only. Or you could remaster the cd or you could install Puppy to hardrive.

This is still no guarentee that this driver will cover your particular modem, but bet there is a chance since your modem works with DSL.

I've never used a winmodem with Puppy so again post on the forum for possibly better directions. I wont use winmodem for anything unless I'm desperate. Hardware modems are simply better.

10. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

i got the slmodem.tgz, and reran the modem wizzard, says it still cant find it.
    I may post on the board later. It looks nice from the live-cd, though.
    I got it to boot from my usb drive also, but repartitioned it to 1 partition from 2,
    and now puppy complains about its type iso9xxxx or something.
    I dont really 'use' linux much, just like to mess around with it. Luckily i have
    a backup of DSL as it uses msdos filesystem on the key, so only a copy
    to restore .... plus some boot stuff. I dont really like flux-box .... ;-)

11. HermitJohn

You can change the window manager in any linux. (I am also not wild about fluxbox like used in DamnSmall, but it does work) The more elaborate wm you want, the more complicated the implementation. There are dozens of them, from absolutely basic like JWM(Joe's Window Manager) and EvilWM to medium desktop system like Xfce (good system if you want more than basic wm but still want fast loading) to very elaborate desktop systems like KDE and Gnome. Do a search on Puppy forum if you are interested. Linux folk dont tend to like FVWM that Puppy uses (Astrumi uses it also) saying it looks too much like win95 (it was meant to). That doesnt bother me in the slightest. I actually didnt mind the gui interface of win95 and always thought it pretty functional , it was the instability of the system I didnt like. Puppy is just absolutely stable. I originally got impressed with Puppy because it boots very fast, the old versions were faster, but Barry changed things a bit to make Puppy work with less memory on the live flash/usbkey versions and it slowed bootup time. Still boots very fast with type 2 hardrive install. Linux traditionally hasnt booted particularly fast. The bigger distributions with KDE or Gnome are painfully slow on older hardware, but then so is win2000/XP. (Can change windows manager on big distributions too!) Win95 was very fast if you didnt try and make it load bunch extra stuff on bootup and nothing is faster than BeOS. Alas BeOS is very old, patched up the wazoo, and since so few people use it anymore and just maintained by handful of volunteers, takes forever for stuff to get fixed/updated.