Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 boxer/lab puppies that are 3 1/2 months old. They are inside dogs but spend nice days outside. The bigger one has been chasing and holding chickens down for a week or so. We scold him hard and he keeps doing it. Today he got one and chewed her back and neck to pieces. I had to put her out of her misery. His brother has done none of this. Is he a lost cause or is there something we can do to change him? We have several free range birds that run the farm. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
He's a very young puppy and needs supervision. You can't just leave him with the birds and expect him to know to leave them alone. My dog loved to chase the birds when he was a pup, but every single time he went to do it, I corrected him and he learned quickly to leave them alone. If your pup had time to chew it up, then you weren't supervising.

I'd recommend not leaving them alone in the yard for a while until they're older and more mature. And when you're supervising and he even LOOKS at a chicken, correct him and then redirect his attention elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, he did get out of our sight for a minute BUT we do watch them pretty closely and firmly correct him when they show interest. He has never been impacted by our scolding like his brother!!

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
You need to use some tricks to assert yourself as Alpha. Alpha with a capital A.
When he recognizes you as the all powerful and you tell him no, let him know that the birds are yours only, then he will stop.

Do the usual training for dominance.
Tie him to you. Have both a short lead and a long lead. (long long)
The only food comes from you in the form of treats throughout the day.
Make him work for every one.
Sit. Stay. Heel. Come. Repeat ad nauseum.
When he listens to commands or obeys correction, he gets a treat.
He will begin looking to you before he even draws a breath.
This is good.

Be generous with the praise and affection.

Take him out on the long lead to where the birds are.
Direct his eyes to your face.
Give praise.
Then walk.
If he looks at the birds, give a sharp, quick snap of the lead and say, 'NO'.
Direct his eyes back to you.
Repeat.
If he goes a good amount of time without tracking them with his eyes, give affection and approval.

Then let the lead out a bit etc...

What worked for my Australian Shepherd when she was plucking the birds was for me to keen over them. To be sad and refuse to look at her, turn my back to her.
She figured out quick that she was causing me great distress.

No more troubles.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
When my pup killed a chicken I took the dead chicken & smacked her with it several times. Then I told her no. About an hour later I took the dead chicken by her & told her no again. Went I picked it up to do it a third time she rolled on her back & looked at me. She has not touched a chicken since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts