Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, okay, it was a small pig, lol. But he went out into the cornfield, tracked it, found it, and held it at bay until hubby got there to shoot it. All by himself, and we didn't even train him on hogs! Wooohoooo.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My parents have a pet wild pig because one of their dogs did that to a baby pig, she has no manners what so ever because she knows she is bigger than you are.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
he keeps this up & he is going to turn into a real hog dog

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have always been interested in Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I think its great that it will hunt hogs. How is the dog as a pet? Do you keep it in the house?

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you keep it in the house?
Irish- Ridgebacks do NOT make good outside dogs. They really need to live in the house with the family. Ours (we currently have three) are very spoiled. They don't sleep in bed with us, um, exactly, lol, but they do all crawl in with me for a cuddle after hubby gets up in the morning. Of course, you don't HAVE to spoil them that much, we have just chosen to with ours.

In my experience, if they get lots of exercise and attention, they make great pets. Kind of high-maintenance that way. They are very smart and get bored easily. We subscribe to the motto "a tired dog is a good dog!".

They can be as stubborn as they are smart, and the best way to train them is with positive reinforcement- they do not respond well to harsh training and corrections. They can also be very independent, which doesn't appeal to all prospective owners. We really like them, though. Pup is my 6th RR, and the 4th one that hubby and I have had since we got married 4 years ago.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I hope my mountain cur puppy is like him because he is a great dog. I have seen a lot of your post about him. I think it is cool that he works hogs and birds and is a house dog all in one. I hope my puppy can work cattle and hogs but also tree **** and squirrel. Keep him outside and hunting him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts