pumpkins

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dot, Aug 5, 2004.

1. dot

dot Well-Known Member

I guess I planted my pumpkins too early. The plants are dying but the stems are still green. Should I go ahead and pick them?

2. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

I saw some of mine look to be dying. But I got to say I have some huge pumpkins! I have never had much luck with pumpkins or melons. This year I sprayed them with that Sea Magic and they have grown like crazy! :D I have so many musk melons and the vines are long and thick. My DD and I went through the melon patch and put all the melons we could find up on clay pots to get them up were we could see them and the sun could shine on them. Well we are fighting a loosing battle with pumpkin vines. I have pumpkin vines that I know are over 40’ long! :eek: I will have to weigh a few of my pumpkins when I pick them. That is if I get to pick them. It has been so wet around here that my garden is a swamp and full of weeds. :(

Steve

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Me I might have gotten my Pumpkins a Squash planted too late,but I'm wanting to take them off right at Frost and have them through the Winter.

big rockpile

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

My pumpkin vines never die until frost, unless something is getting them like vine borers or disease.

5. deviator12000

deviator12000 Member

My pumpkin vines started dying out early, also. To the point that I went ahead and picked them.

According to the American Pharmaceutical Assoc. pumpkin seeds are a proven anthelmintic, which is a substance that kills intestinal worms and expels them from the body. An excellent preparation that is not only excellent for tapeworms but also as a diuretc promoting regular passage of urine can be made by grinding up several ounces of pumpkin seeds and placing them in a small cup of corn syrup, which is flavored with oil of cinnimon.
    (From Mother Earth News Magazine).

6. dot

dot Well-Known Member