Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fergusons Family Farm
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post much on this section, we don't have many pigs we just raise a few each year for meat. With the price of feed right now, we can't really afford to keep many sows all year, we used to but sold out a few years ago.

Now on to my question:
We bought a few truck loads of pumpkins for the pigs, 5 market pigs. 5$ a truck load, can't beat the price.

How much pumpkin can we give with out causing a problem? These pigs only weigh about 60 pounds each right now, and love the pumkin. They are getting Hog Grower, mixed with a bit of cracked corn. and are doing great.

Melissa

·
Registered
44 Posts
When you find out how much, can you tell me how you get them to eat it?! I've tried giving mine pumpkins, but they don't seem to care for it! I was so surprised, silly piggies! I've tried used jack o' lanterns, just the guts, cooked, you name it! I have an idea to pour some molasses on them for a while to get them used to the taste, but... how funny! I've never had this issue with pigs before!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I give my pigs pumpkins as much as i feel like throwing at them and they'll eat till they have had enough and finish what is left later. Pumpkins are very healthy and nutritious so i don't see there being any problem feeding it at all. My kids love it...they beat them with hammers(the pumpkins) and then throw them way up in the air and they explode. My sow will actually stop eating her regular feed and run over to the pumpkins and then finish her feed later.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The last two years I've been collecting pumpkins from the garbage in the city. I work in the city every day (excavating holes for basements or swimming pools) and have returned with a dump truck load of pumpkins for many years now. I back the truck up to the pig pen and dump them in. I don't have any pigs right now (the freezer is overflowing) and am crying about how long the goats are taking to eat them, and how much pumpkin they are wasting.

If the pigs don't want to eat pumpkins they can eat hay.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts