Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pumpkins are turning orange already.

Seems kind of early for them to do that ?

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
I knew mine were going to- planted too early for Halloween harvest. Hotter/sunnier than usual up there?

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have grown pumpkins to sell for years. Some years they do turn orange a little early but it seems to me that nature knows what it is doing. Don't worry, it will be ok. Do you have just a few plants or a lot?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Our first ones that set on have turned orange here, as well. Pumpkin pie for Labor Day?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WIBluebird said:
Do you have just a few plants or a lot?
Just a few plants.

It has been hot and dry. :flame:

Suppose to be in the 90's for the next few days.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I just planted my pumpkins last week. And a few mini pumpkins today. Mine should be ready just in time for Halloween. If not, then Thanksgiving. Last year I grew them early but none made it to Halloween. Actually, a few mostly made it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ours were volunteers from last year, and at only 10" diameter, many are orange already with the vines dying.

That will leave an area of 35' x 35' with bare dirt, what to plant there.?

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
This is my first year growing pumpkins and I have 4 orange ones sitting on my kitchen counter. Yep...seems much too early! The vines died back, too, and got yanked. I still have a few vines alive and growing new fruits. Now I have to figure out what to do with them. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
edayna said:
This is my first year growing pumpkins and I have 4 orange ones sitting on my kitchen counter. Yep...seems much too early! The vines died back, too, and got yanked. I still have a few vines alive and growing new fruits. Now I have to figure out what to do with them. :)

Wow edayna! I am in SW Ohio too and I had some volunteer pumpkins that came up early but are still green. The one's I planted are even farther behind. :)

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I also have one almost a foot across and bright orange. In fact, that's all that's left of what started out as a huge volunteer. Borers got it and the plant apparently rushed to ripen the fruit before it died. Another afflicted plant has 2 smaller fruit about 8" and they also are quickly turning orange.

Martin

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
I suspect that's what happened to mine, the borers invaded and they ripened ahead of time. I had to toss a couple of small ones that were bug-eaten. Are these still going to be okay to eat, or will they taste nasty? I'm assuming they won't hold very long before they rot so they'll have to be processed or used soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts