pumpkins

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by zealot, Jun 22, 2006.

1. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I am growing maxima pumpkins for the first time this year. They drop their small fruit; does anyone know why?

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I've seen small fruit shrivel and drop off before. I think it's when they don't get pollinated.

Which variety are you growing? I've growing "Prizewinner" for the first time this year and already have a pumpkin that's definitely over 100 lbs. But I think it'll ripen too early to save for Halloween.

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

The roots probably can't supply the needs of fruit development But rocket is right also about the pollen. I know that squashes develop the male flowers before any female flowers in order to supply the needs of fruit setting. Keep them well watered and use manure as the big pumkins are heavy feeders. You want to limit the fruit to one per plant also if you want large pumpkins.

4. GR8PMKN

GR8PMKN Well-Known Member

Its called aborting. It is caused by inproper pollination. Two reason I can think of either they did not get pollinated or your heat killed them. Maxima do no like to set in over 90 degree temperatures. We actually have small cheap beer coolers with 2 liter frozen soda bottles to insure pollination.

5. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

This is interesting, but I'm unsure of the mechanics of your operation.

Do you take the bottles out of the beer coolers? How close do you set them to the plants?

Pony!

6. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Well, the heat must be it, because I hand pollinate them, and moreover, a cooling spell has just come and two fruits have set! It has been in the 80s instead of 90s the past few days.
    Now I understand why they grow well in Canada. A lot of maximas are grown in ON and NS. Most of the folks down here in the south grow pepo types.

I don't know much about Prizewinner. Is it a hybrid?

7. GR8PMKN

GR8PMKN Well-Known Member

We flip the styrofoam cooler upside down and place a frozen bottle inside to keep things cool. Prizewinner is a hybrid...You can grow giants down there...Check out BigPumpkins.com