Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many folks here focus more energy on growing fall items such as pumpkins and gourds than produce type items?

How many pumpkins a year do you produce on average and what are your annual sales?

I know it seems like for years, everbody and their brother had a roadside pumpkin patch, but that isn't the case so much in my area any more. Sure, there are a few here and there, and 2 or 3 bigger pumpkin farms within 25-30 miles, but not as many as there were about 15-20 years ago when it seemed like a guy had a truck or trailer full of pumpkins on every street corner.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I dont raise carving pumpkins, only pie, and winter squash like delicata, butternut, spaghetti etc. I sell way more spaghetti and delicata than anything else. The pumpkins, sell.. but everyone wants them really cheap like wal mart at like .10/lb. and they want to carve them... I say no.. it's for eating, but kids might like it.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well after a lot of thought, and research, we have decided, next year we are doing pumpkins.
Several varieties, some gourds, some squash, ornamental pumpkins and edible.
We have almost 3/4 acre to grow on at home, have additional property available to rent, between 1.5 and 3 acres, possibly more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have out about an acre, about 10 different kinds. Most did good, all but the normal pumpkins. Had a complete crop failure due to cucumber bettles. Ive not started selling yet but have had some people preorder some, going to take a load to sale on Tuesday, some we'll see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts