pumpkin

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tnborn, May 25, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Can i plant pumpkins close to squash or zucchini? Do the pumpkins have to be in a different location? Also, I was wondering if it is too late to plant zucchini, eggplants?
    tnborn

2. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    I don't see why not. I have my vine type plants - pumpkin, yellow squash, zuccini, watermellon and cantelope - all in one dedicated bed. all my egg plant seedlings except two died before I could transplant, so I have to start over with them myself.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

it depends on where you are in tn, but i bet you can safely plant anything you want, all the way through june. i even planted a stand of 90 day corn on the 4th of july once, and got a crop, but that is pushing it. as far as the plants crossing- you can safely growm them side by side as long as you aren't saving seed. the cross doesn't show up until the next generation.

this long growing season is another thing i love about tn. btw, let me know if you have any luck with that eggplant. darn flea beetles eat them so bad, i have never eaten a homegrown eggplant. and after i think about it, the ground is just now getting warm enough for a good germination rate for squah and corn and stuff. ( this cool snap the last couple of nights is blackberry winter- now it will get HOT!)i'd wait another couple of weeks to plant heat lovers like okra too.

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

A fellow community gardener once told me that sprinkling talcum powder on the plants would eliminate flea beetles. I've never had a problem with them on eggplants (the potato beetles beat them to the flowers), but I will have to give it a try on my nasturtiums, as they are eaten up every year!

5. mandelbrotset

mandelbrotset Member

My mother has had trouble with pumpkin. She planted some next to her watermelon, and when she harvested the watermelon and cut it open it was all pumpkin on the inside.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Summer squash and zucchini are all Cucurbita pepo. SOME of the squashes we call 'pumpkins' are also C. pepo while other pumpkins are other Cucurbita species. If you want to save seed from these squash and pumpkins to plant next year you really need to know the specific variety of pumpkin you have. If your pumpkin is a C. pepo variety and you plant it next to your summer squash or zucchini chances are good they will cross so that the seed they produce will not produce plants true to either variety the next year. If the pumpkin is of a different species this won't occur.

.....Alan.