pumpkin soup recipe?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ratherbefishin, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

anyone got a favourite pumpkin soup recipe they'd like to share?

2. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Pumpkin soup is a fall favorite. And it gets rid of all those pumpkins. I use a two step approach, using those small pie pumpkins.

Step one: Make up a rice concoction using sausage or hamburger and lots of celery, green pepper, onion, a maybe a carrot. I use a cup of cooked dry beans as well, and stick it all together with a can of tomato soup. It needs to be slightly dry with the rice a little undercooked. Meanwhile the pumpkin has had the top cut off, and the seeds cleaned out, placed in a glass pie pan, and baked in the microwave until almost done. Pour off the liquid into container. Stuff pumpin with rice mixture. Pour pumpkin liquid over. Add some salso if you enjoy a bit of spice. Replace cap, and bake in oven for 30-45 minutes, until pumpkin and rice are done. To serve, remove cap and slice into wedges.

Step two: Remove the leftover pumkin from skin. We usually have half the pumpkin leftover. Puree or mash thoroughly. Add leftover rice mixture and any possiblities from the leftover center in the fridge. Add a can of cream-of soup. Mushroom is good. Add soup can of chicken broth (can be from cube or mix. Watch the salt here--use low salt if possible. Mix together and heat. The soup is incredibly creamy and rich tasting, with delectable little chunks of whatever--rice, meat, green beans, corn, etc. Served with a good, chewy bread, it makes a great lunch.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

A friend in the past gave me this recipe. It calls for butternut squash, but you could use pumpkins, hubbard, or buttercup squash as well. It's very good:

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

1 whole butternut squash
    2 onions
    1 head of garlic
    2 cloves of garlic
    8 cups of chicken stock (broth)
    2 tsp curry powder
    Oil and cooking spray

Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Spray squash with olive oil cooking spray. Generously coat with salt and pepper and crush the two cloves of garlic on the squash. Bake on a cookie sheet, face side down at 425 F for about 45 minutes. On the same cookie sheet place a small peice of foil, just barely cut the top off the bulb of garlic. Drizzle the bulb with olive oil, S and P. Scrunch foil up to make a "package" that surrounds the garlic bulb. Roast for same time as squash.

Once squash is soft, in a stock pot, begin to saute 2 onions. Once nice color develops, scoop out squash and place with remaining ingredients. Squeeze out garlic and add to soup. Add curry powder and simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove as much soup as you want and puree it in the blender. I usually puree about 3/4 of the soup.

Since squash varry in size, the amount of broth is an estimate.

4. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a 1 cup here, 1/2 tbs there kind of cook, I'm more of a "that looks about right" kind of cook so I can't give you ingredient amounts but.... I made a concoction called New England Vermont Pumpkin Casserole using mashed pumpkin, ham chunks, cream, and cheddar cheese mixed together sprinkeled with a cracker and butter topping and plopped in the oven. It was great! I think I found it in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook when looking for a pumpkin soup recipe. This sounded better the day I was making pumpkin something! I, too, want to find a good pumpkin soup recipe, though.