Pumpkin Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by amarillo, Aug 26, 2005.

1. amarillo

amarillo Well-Known Member

I planted pumpkin seeds several months ago, and although there have been numerous flowers on the plants, none have yielded any actual pumpkins.

Can anyone tell me why the plants flower and then the flowers shrievel up.
    Why didn't my plants produce any pumpkins?

Thank you.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

My best guess is that the flowers were not pollinated.
    Did you notice any bees in them?

What you could have done is pollinate the flowers yourself, if no bees were around to do it for you. Wind can pollinate, but for big squash or pumpkin flowers it isn't always going to do it.

3. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    I'm new to growing pumpkins, but here is what I've learned. Pumpkin flowers that grow somewhat horizontally with a small bud at their base are females and the bud is a baby pumpkin. If it isn't fertilized the entire bud will break off and the stem will wither away. Flowers that grow in a vertical orientation w/o the bud are males and will produce nothing but pollen. Pumpkins produce female to male flowers at about 6:1 ratio. The male flowers open first and the females follow. The flowers close to protect the reproductive process from dehydration/heat. The better the pollinization, the better the pumpkin. I've known people who use a Q-tip and do it manually, or who take a male flower and insert into the female flower and swish it around.

That's my 50 cent tour of the pumpkin process. Hope it helps.

4. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Another question is, how hot is it where you are? I know giant pumpkin growers in hot climates often put some ice next to female flowers on hot days, as they won't fertilize properly if too hot (over 90 deg. I think), & the fruit will abort.