Pumpkin insect protection

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Linda Camello, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

This past year I wanted to plant some pumpkins in my garden. And they grew really nice. BUT....I had a lot...and I mean a LOT of bugs all over them & they made nasty marks all over them. My dad called them stink bugs but I do not know for sure what they are. They are kind of a brown/grey color and triangular in shape. What do I put on the pumpkins to get rid of those pesty bugs??? I want to be prepared and ready for them this year!! Any suggestions on what to use??

2. StaceyS

StaceyS Well-Known Member

These are squash bugs. They are horrible! They have destroyed my winter & summer squash harvests for the past 3 years. All you can do is catch them and squish them. (They smell bad when you squish them) Once they are adult size, their shells are too hard for pesticides to work. They lay little red eggs on the underside of the leaves. Squish these as well. The little "baby" bugs supposedly can be killed by insecticide. I've never tried it on them.
    The adults over-winter in debris and garden waste. My best luck in catching them has been to lay a board by the plants and lift them in the morning - then squish.
    Good luck!

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

4. gita s.

gita s. Guest

As long as we're talking about obnoxious bugs on pumpkins, what about aphids? They *cover* the bottoms of the pumpkin leaves and melon leaves in the summer time and of course the plants suffer for it. And do the ants bring the aphids or do the aphids attract the ants?

5. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

Thank you all very much for your helpful info. I am not sure exactly which bug I have...either a squash or a stink bug. Guess I will just have to dissect one this year and find out! LOL :haha: But either way...I will get rid of them!! Maybe just start a new kind of dance in the pumpkin patch!! :haha:

6. WaterSoluble

WaterSoluble Well-Known Member

Ants "farm" with the aphids. They use the aphids to extract the plant's sap and turn it into a sweet syrup. They harvest it as it is extruded from the aphid as waste. When needed, the ants move the aphids to greener pastures.

7. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

As far as aphids go, you can control them by placing a bright yellow plate or bowl with a little water in it in or near the row. It attracts the aphids like no one's business, and they drown in the water. I found that trick out by accident when puddles formed on my plastic mulch and lots of pollen collected in the water. The next day the whole puddle was full of aphids and I never had a problem again.
    WaterSoluble is right about ants farming aphids. They will actually overwinter aphids in their nests and bring them back to the surface in the spring. You can substantially reduce your aphid problem by controlling the ants, though I have yet to find a method that's natural enough for me to consider so close to my veggies.