Pumpkin info needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Nov 1, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Got a chance to scarff up on left over pumpkins, how do you tell if they are ripe?

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

If they are orange, they are ripe. You can be sure the ones in the stores are ripe, I think.

Pumpkin soup is good. Pumpkin bread, too.

Just remember that fresh pumpkin is wetter than canned.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

They are green when they are green, and yellowish when they are ripe enough, and orange when they are fully ripe.

Halloween pumpkins tend to be stringy, so I like to run the cooked pumpkin with the liquid the recipe calls for through a blender before I make the pumpkin bread or whatever.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

roasted pumpkin seeds are quite good! pumpkin pulp and seeds are also good for pigs and cows(realise you do not have any ) and also chickens in moderation . if nothing else ,enhance the compost pile.

5. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

The skin (as in cooked with the skin on) is edible too. More taste, different taste, more nutrition too. Green skin can tend to have an earthy taste in some cases, orange skin is nutty, I like it all. Think about zuccini - they're green squash, although very young. Certainly anything with a yellow or orange colour is ripe, but even green pumpkin can be cooked and eaten. If not by you then by poultry or other livestock (like rabbits).

6. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

There are some pumpkins that have orange skin from day one. I would check out the stem. If it is brown and dried up - then the pumpkin is ripe.

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I must disagree.Pumpkin soup is NOT GOOD,pumpkin soup is great!

BooBoo