Pump Problems again

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by duke3522, May 10, 2005.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

My pump is acting funny again. I caught it turning on and off really fast whenever the water is on. So I checked the pressure tank and the pressure was low so I emptied out the system and put 38 pounds of pressure in the pressure tank. Closed the valves and the pump ran all right then started the on/off stuff again. So I checked the pressure in the tank and it was only 38 pounds. So I shook the pressure tank and it had no water in it. I am clueless as to what is wrong here. Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Duke

2. duke3522

Called the pump man and he told me to take the pressure in the tank down to 28 pounds. He told me that jet pumps work at a lower tank pressure than submersibles. I took the pressure down and it looks to be working some better. It is taking longer to kick on, but it still runs a little then shuts off, runs a little then shuts off. Until it gets up to pressure then the it shuts off for a while. Then back to the on/off stuff. Not as bad as it was, but still not working the way it should I don't think. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks
    Duke

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Duke- I dont think i know the solution to your problem as we have a very soft start grundfos submersible pump in our storage tanks to fill our very large pressure tank which is set at 19 pounds! I think 40 pounds of water pressure would blow the shower off our wall! Sounds like maybe you should have the pump man check out the pump inards? Good luck.

4. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

The pressure in your tank should be set aprox 2 pounds less than the turn on pressure of your pump switch. So if your pump turns on at 30 then you have it set correctly. If it turns on at 25, you need to drop your pressure to around 23, see what I mean?

=)

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Jet pumps dont necessarily work at lower pressures.
    what type of tank?
    It really sounds to me like your pressure switch is malfunctioning. It might be worth the $20 to replace the switch.

6. duke3522

Well I have tried several different pressures and no luck at all. I do believe it is time to call in the pump man. Going to try and have him show me what's what though so that I might be able to fix it myself next time. It really bugs me when I can't figure something like this out. Thanks for the input.

The tank looks to be about a 36 gallon WellSaver tank. If it would be the pressure switch where will i find that on the pump?

Duke

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Most pressure switches are a grey plastic or metal box with some wires going into it, and a small pipe. They are usually on the tank itself, or can be on a small pipe stem coming off the pump or piping between the pump & tank. They can fail every 10 years or so.

I have a diffent situation which you might relate to. My pressure switch on one of the pumps has a small 1/4" pipe leading to it, and this pipe will fill up with corosion/ scale every 5-7 years. The pressure switch cannot get a good pressure reading through this, and will act much as yours does. This is not such a common thing, could be overlooked in your situation if it applies to you? Replacing the switch is a good idea if it is old, check out the little pipe stalk leading to it to be sure it is clear at that time.

This switch will have it's cut in & cut out pressure stamped on it or inside the grey cover, this will help you figure out the air pressure you need in you tank as well.

--->Paul

8. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

It is also very possible for ants or other insects to get into the pressure switch. Definitely look at the pressure switch before calling someone. Beware, though that at least two wires will be electrified unless you are able to turn off the power to the well circuit. And that corroding pipe rambler is talking about is definitely possible. I feel pretty certain(??) that this is a pressure switch problem of some sort or another.

9. KellyB

KellyB Member

Hi Duke,

I had this exact problem around a month ago. My Dad toyed with the cut in and cut out valves and within about ten minutes the pump was back to normal. He just varied the pressure until the pump kicked in at the appropriate time. No problems since.

Kelly

10. duke3522

Hi Everyone,

I called the pump man and he told me he was very busy and that I was smart enough to do the repair myself :yeeha: . So he talked me through the pressure adjustment. The pump is now working great :dance: I was also worried about the pressure tank being so light, but he explained to me that a pressure tank only holds about 5 gallon so they're not suppose to be too heavy. The guy is an old friend of my dad's and I think he was just trying to give me a little lesson in pump repair ;) . It sure did give me a boost. It sure does feel good to fix something that I was completly clueless about. Makes a guy feel a little more independent ya know.

Well, thanks for all the input and support. Next time I will be able to get a lot further before asking for help.

Duke :dance: :dance: :dance:

11. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

SO what did you end up doing?

12. duke3522

I think the problem was that the pump and the pressure tank were out of balance. When I first noticed the problem I checked the pressure in the tank and it was only about 8 pounds. So I drained the system and added air up to 38 pounds. Found out this was not the right pressure for my type of pump so I lowered the tank pressure to 28 pounds.

Pump was still cutting in and out real fast. Pump man told me to take the cover off the switch and tighten the long adjustment screw 3 turns. I think this increased the cut out pressure of the pump. Now the pump is working fine.

Now when water is turned on the pressure drops before the pump comes on. Then when the water is turned off the pump continues to run a little while to build the pressure back up in the pressure tank.

Duke

13. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

very good and GOOD JOB!!!!!!!

14. duke3522

Thank You!!!

Thank You!!!

Nice to win one every now and then. :cool:

15. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    "So I drained the system and added air up to 38 pounds." If your tank was dry when you added the 38 pounds of pressure, this would mean too much volume of air was present, pressure correct is right but that means on top of the water present at about 2/3rd full. With only a small volume of water present that would mean constant kick on, kick off.

16. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

That is correct assuming this is a bladder tank & the bladder is intact. If this is a simple tank with just air & water, then it wouldn't make any difference. Since it acted the way it did, we can assume it likely is a bladder tank.

However, for others checking this thread out, it makes a difference if you have a true pressure tank with the bladder, or just a simple tank with an air pocket....

--->Paul

17. ChristenaTN

ChristenaTN Active Member

My dh and I had a simlier situation ......we have spring water and a pump and small holding tank. The pump would click on and off instead of staying on when in use, etc...

we found our holding tank was rusted out and not working right and replaced that plus we blew air into the tank and sort've primed it real well.

We've not had any more problems and its running smoothly now.

Hope this helps ya out:)