Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my pump-n-seal for about 6 months and have used it a lot. Many of my jars have lids that don't fit the wide mouth and small mouth lid attachments on my Foodsaver so I have to manually pump them to seal them.

Anyhow, last night the central rod in my pump-n-seal came out, and I realized it had unscrewed from the little plastic plunger inside the vacuum tube. No biggie, just reassemble the parts and screw it back together. Except now it won't vacuum.

It's such a simple mechanism I can't figure out what's wrong. It had a trace of grease on the gasket on the plunger so I regreased it, thinking maybe my fingers took too much grease away to allow a suction seal.

Any ideas? Anyone else had theirs apart and then got it to work afterwards?

I think I'll email the company and ask for help, since it would be $20 to replace it and it's not that old. And I certainly don't want to go through life without it! It's one of the most useful tools I have in my food storage.

·
Mountaineers are free
945 Posts
Yeah I actually took mine apart and washed it after I sucked pepper into it while sealing a jar... Can't imagine what is up with yours. Maybe too much grease. Make sure the o-ring is still in the little groove and that the red plug at the bottom is still sealing, should work without a hitch. The only time mine wouldn't seal was when I accidentally had two mason lids stacked. I would be lost without my pump-n-seal, look forward to your posts to see how this plays out and what the cause was.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just emailed them, and noticed on the web page that the pump N seal has a 10 year guarantee. So hopefully they'll help me or send me a new one! I'll post back here when I hear something....

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard from the P-N-S people and they gave me instructions for putting it back together properly. I'll check to see that I did it right, but we've had three people down with the flu and I haven't had time.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just heard back from them again, and they've asked me to inspect it for cracks or a problem with the little gasket on the piston. It all looks fine to me, and it wasn't dropped or abused in any way. They said the next step is to send it to them for repair or replacement. So far they have great customer service, and quick responses. I hope they don't keep it too long, if I have to send it back.

WVStuck, I love mine too! Such a simple thing, but so useful. I know some people on this board use an air compressor to vacuum jars, but I like the manual, silent operation of my PNS. Plus it's small, and easy to store.

·
Mountaineers are free
945 Posts
And it actually creates a higher level of vacuum v/s the electric pump models, and you don't need special jars or lids. I will keep watching this post to see how this process works for you. I think I will order a second one for a back up, $20 for a back up plan sounds fair :)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'm not sure what I did or didn't do, but the third time's the charm. I took it all apart again, inspected every item for cracking, being plugged or other problems. Put it all together again and it worked!

I had a dozen jars waiting to be sealed, so I'm happy it is working again. No idea what could have happened.....I'm pretty handy mechanically and this has three simple internal parts, so it was a fluke (translate: pilot error).

But the PNS people are very helpful and were willing to repair or replace, so I'm happy with the outcome. I think I"ll also order a new one, to be saved as a prep item. I've become very dependent on my PNS for use on all the jars I have from food we've eaten.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Gotta agree with you on the Pump-n-Seal being the best!
You're pretty lucky being able to get them for $20 where you are: Down here it cost me A$118 for two. Gave one to my brother for his b'day, and now sis wants one too!
Mum of Four, has it really been 6 months since you got yours? Time seems to be slipping by faster and faster these days. (Next thing you know it'll be Christmas!)
Did have a problem using ziploc bags, but after reading the directions supplied with the pump, used some vegetable oil along the seal, closed the bag, punched a hole and applied a tab, then pumped. Seems to work O.K. for dehydrated vegetables, but probably no good for fine powders like flour and pepper, or for food in sauces, where the pump might get clogged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts