Pump for well?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bink, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Hello, Folks!
    I am a long-time lurker, first-time poster, and homesteader hope-to-be. I appreciate all the information available here. It's a wealth.

We're planning our place and will be drilling a well sometime soon. It will have an electric pump, but I'm also considering a hand pump. Could come in...handy sometime.

Do you folks think this would be a good idea? Do any of y'all have a backup hand pump? Any particular brands you like? Anything I should look out for?

Thanks!

2. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Hand pumps are generally only good down to 30ft, You can some deep well hand pumps but those dont go down much past 60ft. So depending on your well depth it might not be an option. there are some well inserts that will allow you to drop a narrow bucked on a rope to pull up water but thats a LOT of work to pull 10lbs of water up 100ft.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I seen a Hand Pump a few years ago that set right next to your regular pump,that could draw water from a Deep Well.

big rockpile

4. johnkl

johnkl Well-Known Member

The depth of the well is less important than how far the water is from the top of the well casing. My well is 180' deep with a 7 gpm recovery rate but there's 160' of water in it which means a hand pump would work ok in it.I'd suggest checking out Lehmans. My guess is they'd have tried and true tested, quality hand pumps there.

5. Here is a url to the home page for the emergency hand pumps that Lehman Hardware has listed for sale. They are the Stalwart pump.

Lehman has these pumps listed for a lot less than those on this home page BTW.
    http://www.russianpublishing.com/handpump.html

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................I think that some old timer with a very sore arm probably invented the Windmill to get away from the "hand pump".........fordy :eek: :)

7. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

I appreciate the input! I do enjoy browsing Lehman's. Do any of you folks with wells actually have handpumps as backup, or do you rely on generators?

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Bink, I have two large bladder reservoir tanks connected to the well, when power goes off we conserve the reserve in these tanks. I get about 80 gallons of drawdown. If the power has not returned by the time this storage is exhausted I start the generator.

9. Windy in KS

Windy in KS Guest

Bink, I've made a new rather indepth post about water systems and hand pumping. You may find it of some value. Hand pumping is indeed feasible from a fairly deep well if equiped for it.

Since you have not drilled your well yet you may have a choice of well casing sizes. If you get a 6" casing you can install a well cylinder in it. I was told not to install one in my 5" casing. Of course 6" casing and larger diameter drilling is more costly, but something to think about.

I'll just let you read the other post to see if it is of any benefit.

Windy