public breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ratherbefishin, Dec 4, 2004.

1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

30 years ago it simply ''wasn't done'' and any mom wanting to feed her baby was quickly relegated to a washroom[ and sometimes not too clean, either]Today its not unusual to see a mom breastfeeding her baby in restaurants, malls fastfood outlets and apart from those who recognise the baby]s position- nobody even notices.I was with 2 other guys in a busy fastfood outlet and a mom came in with a fussing baby and a 2 year old-sat right across the table from us and breastfed her baby, and the guys remarked afterwards that''that baby sure was quiet''-and were flabergasted when I said- ''of course itwas- she was breast feeding it''-she did it so adroitly that they hadn't even noticed.Now- that's confidence!
    We've had our share of restaurants that embarrassed young mothers by asking them to ''go to the restroom to feed your baby''- butthe city passed a bylaw making such actions illegal-a mom can breastfeed her baby in a public place if she so chooses.Funny ennough-it's often other women [ waitresses]who object- most men [ waiters] recognise it isn't a big deal and ignore it-even if they notice atall[most of them are too busy anyway].Mostwomen handle it with minimal exposure-although one or two have decided it's their right to bare their whole breast-which although it is, does attract attention, and can make people uncomfortable
    It's funny though, I've seen a guy in the office go to lunch at a bar with topless waitresses but object to someone breast feeding in the office[ our office permits employees to bring young babies to work and have them in thier office as long as the baby isn't interfering in business]....he was set straight pretty quickly when some one asked him where he went to lunch.....

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Could never figure out the big deal made over breastfeeding in public.

I guess we just want to protect our children from the "vile" things in life.LOL

Maybe the people that get offended are "Ashamed" of s*X and equate breast feeding with S*x.

3. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

I'm way more offended seeing a baby with a bottle in its mouth! And 30 years ago I was breastfeeding in public, and NOT in bathrooms. How gross--I hardly can even stand using public toilets for their intended use!

We are a pretty stange society..... :no:

4. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I don't personally have a problem with mothers breastfeeding in public, IF they do it discreetly. If you're just gonna whip your boob out so everyone can see it, I would rather you not. But then again, that's just me.

I mean it's not about sex to me, it's breastfeeding- totally natural, but at the same time I think there's a fine line.(Sex is natural too but I don't wanna see people gettin it on while I'm tryin to eat my BigMac, ya know?) It seems that with this as other issues there are those who take it way too far on purpose just to prove a point. It's no longer about feeding an infant, it's about seeing how much you can expose before someone says something about it. There is a time and place for everything, including breastfeeding. I don't think moms should be relegated to public bathrooms or their cars to do so, but just because it doesn't bother some doesn't mean it doesn't bother others. And there will never be a clear 'winner' in this argument. But we should be understanding and respectful of each others veiws (even though that seems to be a thing of the past in this country). Compromise isn't such a bad thing in some situations.

Just my two cents...
    Oh well!

~Christina

5. ratherbefishin

I think it;s also very much a cultural issue- in some countries breastfeeding babies is just taken for granted- while public nudity is very much taboo.Here in NorthAmerica we have a very strange paradox- stripper bars are not uncommon and far more acceptable than a mom breastfeeding her baby in a restaurant next door. That however is changing, and most breastfeeding moms are quite adroit at it-a bulky sweater seems the best clothing option.
    I do however remember an middle aged English collegue of mine interviewing an Italian client - and when her baby wanted to nurse, she let down one side of her dress and let it all out-much to the discomfiture of my friend.The lady, was not in the least embarrassed, it was simply how she breastfed her baby and she thought nothing of it.I do think however, that some women deliberately push the limits simply to make a point-but they are very much the minority-especially as public breastfeeding is now just accepted.And about time too.

6. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Methinks even 15 years ago, it "wasn't done" either. When my sister breastfed her son in a restaurant - we're Germans and this was in Germany - nobody gave a hoot, but our husbands (both American) were beet-faced and horrified. I think their reaction drew far more attention than a simple breastfeeding, LOL! I realized back then that Americans have a pretty intense obsession with sex and anything that's got anything at all to do with body parts belongs behind closed doors or in strip clubs or on TV. It's kinda endearingly schizophrenic in a silly way :D

7. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

I am a very modest person and even I would much rather see a breast feeding a baby than artificial formula and a bottle.

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I'll probably get flogged for this but....

Maybe it is the young single male part of me but it kinda creeps me out.

It shouldn't be done in public. Yeah yeah I know it is natural but so are bowel movements. I don't care to see your kid latched onto your teat while I'm eating lunch in Subway. It just seems like common courtesy to go somewhere private to feed the kid. I wouldn't jump up on the table and cop a squat and then complain that "it was only natural" when the manager came to ask me to use the restroom. I don't buy the "Americans are too uptight and people in country X do it and it is normal" argument. I've been to foreign countries where people urinate or drop trou and defecate whenever and whereever they feel like it but again I don't care to see people doing it at the local WalMart.

Jeez. Whatever happened to modesty and common courtesy. I'm not trying to sound harsh but if finding a private place to whip out your nipple is somehow too much to ask then maybe you should stay home.

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

[DUCK!, Incoming "Medic, we will need a medic over here!"]

10. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

It doesn't bother me as long as a line doesn't form.

11. ratherbefishin

the fact is, most people wouldn't even recognise a mom breastfeeding her baby , especially if she wears a bulky sweater-the funny thing of course is if she ''covers up'' with a blanket or towell- it become obvious.The more unconscious she is-the less attention is drawn.As I said earler- I sat a table with two other guys and they didn't know the woman sitting right across the table from us breastfed her baby right in front of them, and the only reason I knew what was going on was my wife had breastfed our kids.
    On another note I think the whole ''anti-breastfeeding '' thing was a direct result of marketing by the formula companies- it propigated the theory that the modern mother didn't breast feed- she used formula.This had tragic results in 3rd world countries where they tried to sell their powdered formula-clean water was not readily available and so babies died of all sorts of diseases as a result of contaminated water being mixed with formula.Hospitals were also guilty of promoting the use of formula- they distributed free samples in order to promotr the supplying company.Thankfully this has also changed- hospitals now encourage all moms to at least try to breastfeed.Amazing how simple the solution is , isn't it?

12. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

When we did go out, sometimes I pumped ahead of time and gave the baby a bottle of milk. Hard telling what's in those bottles! ;) We can't just assume because it's a bottle it's full of formula

Ann

13. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I think that is the most retarded comment I've ever heard. Breastfeeding is FEEDING the child. How about if we told you that we didn't want to be in the room while you eat...that you just shouldn't be seen eating in public? Sounds pretty stupid, huh?

14. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, Mommaboob, calling someone retarded just because they don't happen to have the same opinion as yourself isn't very nice, now is it? I know lots of smart people that agree with Quint. I breastfed my boys but I'll bet you that they don't want to see it in public either. They are just way too modest for that. But then if Quint was sucking on a breast, I don't think I would want to see that either. Just my own humble opinion, maybe not yours.

15. mammabooh

If you will read my post carefully, you will see that I said his comment was retarded, not that he was...and my name is not Mommaboob. Shall I accuse you of being a name-caller now?

16. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

:haha: :haha: :haha:

17. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well... if he had to pull his pants down in order to eat, it wouldn't.

18. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

I breastfed all 4 of mine in public very discreetly. I doubt if most people even have a clue as to what I was doing. I always covered up with a blanket.

michele

19. mammabooh

Well, yeah, we wouldn't want any genitalia revealed. I don't think anyone is advocating baring their lower goodies while breastfeeding!

20. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ah just go over tell them how cute their baby is :D go on :D :D

big rockpile