Public access to hunting wild boar with dogs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by americanbulldog, Jun 30, 2006.

1. americanbulldog

americanbulldog American Hunter

Before I totally hijack the hog dog thread I thought I better start this thread.
    I was wondering were you guys knew of places that wild boar can be hunted. Either places where it is public land that is legal to hunt on, or private land where people are allowed access to hunt wild boar by the owners.
    Lets let it roll guys and girls! :dance: Anywhere in the USA please!
    Tango said that she knows of a place in Alabama that has pure Russian Boars, but I don't know exactly where. :shrug:
    Anyone else know of some places? :help:
    Thanks!

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

The main reason that I quit hog hunting several years ago was the loss of places to hunt. It got to be too much of a challenge to find somewhere to hunt, and then they made it illegal to transport them live, so I just quit hog hunting altogether. I know there are a lot of hogs around the country, and you can find places to hunt them if you can put in the time and travel to do it. Good luck on your search.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I would have thought that it would have been a piece of cake in the States. Obviously not. I would be happy to have you hunt here - my lease block is being torn apart with wild pigs as is some of the acreage on the home farm. I used to pig hunt but no longer have the dogs.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. americanbulldog

Strange that all these wild pigs are said to be such a "problem" and yet everyone is making it as hard as possible to get rid of them. I think they just want to keep all the pigs for themselves. :Bawling:
    I am willing to travel!
    Bless you Ronnie but I don't think I am willing to travel that far! Well ... maybe on vacation. I will let you know. Thanks!

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

They are all over AB. WMA allow their hunting by season. If you want to go to Fort Pierce, Florida contact Don Matthews of Konfederate Kennel (google it I don't have my other computer here). He knows of spots. In Okeechobee, there is Okee Hunt Club. There is a fee. If you have never gone hog huntin' you may want to do a guided tour first. Make sure everyone you speak with is very well aware that you are hunting with dogs. I have a neighbor who has purchased or leased who knows how many thousands of acres around here and leases to hunters for $1500 lifetime membership. They have hogs. Alan Scott toldme about the Russians released in AL. Actually he'd be a good one to speak with also. owlhollow@webtv.net Pastor Lem Miller has a trial on baying and/or catching. His website is joshuakennels.com Don't know if he's still doing it. I always wanted to take Jack through it but he was only 1.5 when we left Florida. You probably know these websites and people all ready but they are really the ones to ask about special spots especially after you tell them you are a fellow Ab enthusiast :).

6. americanbulldog

Not to sound stupid but what is the WMA? :shrug:
    I know some spots that some bulldog people use, but I was kind of hoping that some people might know of a some that bulldog people don't use.
    Does anyone know where there are some areas overrun with hogs that need to have their numbers taken down a notch or two? Either public or private land? I am looking for land where I would be doing people a favor if I come and hunted a few. I have even heard rumors that some places offer a bounty on hogs. Is this true? :nerd: I am not looking for any money! I just want to have more choices of places to hunt! :help:
    Thanks

7. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

A WMA is a Wildlife Management Area. The closest one to us here (with a lot of hogs) is the Apalachicola National Forest southwest of Tallahassee. On that particular one the hogs are considered trespass livestock and can be hunted during any time any hunting season is open. There's no bag or size limit. I stopped hog hunting when they passed the "no live transport" law. I just prefer to catch them live and butcher them later. Especially if it's a boar that we want to castrate and butcher later.

8. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

Most hog hunters are lying low now. The HSUS and other groups have targeted catch trials and the people who train their dogs to catch wild boar. Art Parker was arrested for holding a catchdog trial, won his case in court, then was arrested again as soon as he held another trial.

http://indianz.com/News/2006/012251.asp

The animal protection folks are calling catchdog trials "hog dog fighting" and want to ban them.

9. americanbulldog

Thanks for the information. :)

10. americanbulldog

Animal rights extremists like the HSUS are just crazy. They don't want there to be any such thing as a "domestic" animal. With that being said I am not really interested in catchdog trials right now. I am trying to find places to hunt. Thanks for the information though.

11. americanbulldog

Wow. This thread just died. I guess there are more people that raise pigs than hunt pigs on here. I guess that makes sense. :(

12. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Trials attract negative attention and I'm on the fence about some of them. A hunter with his dogs doesn't need to attract public attention. A person training his own dogs doesn't attract attention. Some dogs are quite brutal with the hogs and are stil used. Bad press imo. My first Catahoula was very brutal and had to be trained extensively. I never hunted though.

AB, Your best bets are Florida, Alabama, and Texas imo. Look online at their hnting regulation sites and find their WMA. Large ranches allow hunting if the hogs are a problem. That is why I suggested Don Matthews since he knows the ones in central south Florida that allow it. Many ranches depend on trappers and hunting. Perhaps like Mary suggested they are lying low. I'm kind of not in the scene since moving to TN.

13. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Your probably right ABD but it doesn't have to follow. I used to duck and pheasant shoot and kept the appropriate dogs for the sport, I also used to do a lot of pig hunting and my husband and I kept a pack of finders, balers and holders for the purpose. I also bred pigs, milked cows and kept sheep. Needless to say, we ate well :)

Perhaps your just going to have to wait until you can save the dosh for a holiday in New Zealand and I can set you up for some pig hunting and deer stalking too if your into that.

Given the size of America and the size of the wilderness areas that are still there, I must admit to being somewhat surprised at the difficulty your having at getting in to do some pig hunting. Do you eat your wild pork. I'm a "pot" hunter and LOVE wild pork.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

14. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

It really isn't difficult if you are in the rural South, dunno what location Ab is in. Ah, just saw he's in Connecticut, yea that would be a problem. In Florida we had wild pigs around us. They'd root up the dirt road in one night. The places that trap piglets, castrate them and cut the whetters so the cutters get bigger faster. Unfortunately the sport of trophy hunting dominates and those pigs aren't usually eaten. Wild pig is delicious, really mch better, imo than domestic. AB check out baydogs.commaybe you can hook up with someone on there.

15. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Marcia, yes I had forgotten that trophy hunting tends to be taking over which is really sad. Like you, I would rather eat wild pork than domestic and when I did hunt the only domestic pork we killed for ourselves went into bacon and ham - only because I wouldn't "waste" wilk pork by destroying the flavour and pickling it.

I also hadn't taken into consideration that attitudes and availability will vary around the country and that will have a large bearing on things. I think I need to take a couple of years out to roam around your huge continent and get my facts right. :) Now who can I stay with and who will put up with me :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    Ronnie

16. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

here in our area of Liberty County Texas, people load up their dogs and go hunting along the river all the time. You cant drive along a back road w/o seeing a hog trap, but then its also hard to find a garden that hasn't been rooted up by pigs too! lol they are everywhere!
    I am not kidding when I say at least once a week we have scared people come to our place asking us to come a kill hog that's after their horse/kids etc.....

people LOVE the hog hunters around here.

17. americanbulldog

I don't hunt anything unless I am going to eat it. I don't kill for "fun" or "trophy". I value all life and I take death seriously. I am not saying that I would never kill something that I wasn't going to eat, but if I did it wouldn't be hunting. It would be predator control, self defense, or some other justified kill.
    It amazes me that I continue to hear stories that wild pigs are a "problem" yet some States continue to make it as hard as possible to hunt them. TN for example only allows wild pigs to be hunted a few days a year with dogs and they only allow it in restricted locations. It doesn't sound like they want to get rid of this "problem".
    According to official reports the wild pigs are all the way up into West Virginia and Ohio right now. I have gotten unofficial reports that they are already in PA, up state NY and Quebec. If the trends continue my children should be able to hunt wild pigs in New England in their lifetime. In the meantime I have to keep driving to the South. I love the South -- it is just the long drive and the high price of gas that I don't like.
    Anyone know of places to hunt wild pigs in PA? Anywhere else? I am still going to be willing to drive a good distance to hunt wild pigs because I like to travel and I love to see and hunt new places. So if anyone knows of more places to hunt please feel free to share. I promise I won't take ALL the hogs. :)

18. americanbulldog

Thanks for the tip. I have never been to Liberty County Texas. What river do the people hunt? Also, is it legal to hunt land that you do not own in Texas. I want to hunt according to the law and keep my actions legal. I wouldn't want to go to Texas (or anywhere else) and get my dogs taken away for breaking some law. In Texas do you just get a hunting license and hunt year round?

19. americanbulldog

Dana,
    Are you hunting these wild pigs with your Great Danes? How do you track them? :shrug:

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

There are many places in the south to hunt hogs. Many do not allow hunting with dogs. In some places it is still legal to hunt deer with dogs. Not many landowners will allow it though. Many of the hunting leases will only allow deer hunting with dogs in the last days of the season. The rest of the year they do not allow dogs run on their leases. They encourage hunters to kill all the hogs they can. Hunting with dogs is becoming a lost art. With many large acreages split up into smaller parcels there isn't a large enough place to hunt with dogs. Some states have limited the hunting with dogs only to those acreages large enough for the hunt to start and end without going across property lines. There is a minimum acerage but I can't remember what it is.