PTSD & Lying

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by Snowdancer, May 24, 2006.

1. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

This may be a strange question but is one of the known side effects of PTSD the ability to lie with a straight face and find 'loopholes' for every promise/assurance.
    Breaking promises and lying both have explained away as just part of the PTSD but I've known others who seem to still be able to tell the truth & keep their promises. :shrug: Finding loopholes in any promises made seems to be the norm instead of an exception and again, I am just wondering if this person is using a diagnosis of PTSD to cover his own personal choices and expecting a 'free pass'?

I'm not asking for a specific mental/medical assurance-I'd just like to know if in fact, lying and the inability to keep promises to supposed loved ones seems to be one of the side effects of PTSD in a lot of cases. :help: I hear it is a 'well known' fact that this is part of PTSD from the promise breaker/liar but not from others who have known someone with PTSD. So I'm conflicted on what to believe. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The ability to decieve and ignore responsibility was proabibly well within this persons make up before entering into the service, do you have someone that would know about that time frame?

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

ky, i don't have a LOT of experience with this, but i don't think compulsive lying is a symptom. abnormally suspicious, quick to anger, anxiety, unsocialble... yeah.

but i think what moo said is- if they were a liar before the trauma, they will probably be a liar after.

4. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Sadly, yes those who knew him before my entry into this picture confirm the issues I'm seeing had appeared before the military. But, as in all things surrounding this situation there's now the loophole of ' I had childhood emotional trauma' has been used to explain why these sorts of untruths, partial truths & deceptive actions have taken place for years before entering the military.

Thanks Mitch