PTO Tillers question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Old Jack, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

I have a Curtis TMA 180 That I bought used last year.
    It's a 6 ft wide PTO driven tiller.
    I didn't get any manual or instructions with it. It works great , I'm just wondering about maintenance:
    Oil? There are 2 filler caps, one in the middle/top and another on the side/top.
    What type, viscosity etc.
    How to determine level, there are no dipsticks.
    Thanks

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The 'Shop Talk' forum is not to be involved with political discussions; that happens at General Chat Forum, do not post such here again or I will delete it as soon as I find it. Moopups, comoderator of this site. I will confer with the other mods about this display of your opinions, we will make a decision about this.

3. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Old Jack, so this machine has a small gearbox in the middle of the machine that transfers power via a horizontal shaft to the side of the machine?

I doubt that lubrication is a critical issue for this machine, adequate clean oil is probably more important than any consideration of oil type.

Sorry I dont have the exact oil weights and quantities, maybe someone will come forward with the makers recommendations, meanwhile.....

My suggestion, I expect these are both low speed devices transmitting a lot of torque so you need a fairly heavy gear or hypoid gear oil, something that might go into the rear axle of a vehicle.

If the gear boxes have just one filler cap and it is on the side of the gearbox then fill it till it overflows.

Make sure those filler caps really are filler caps and not adjusters for gear or worm backlash.

4. Farmer Brownn

Farmer Brownn Member

My tiller uses standard gear oil. 90 weight should work just fine. Side plug is the level plug on most gearboxes. Just add until it runs out. Or if you canstick your finger inthe side hole and feel grease you should be ok. If you don't have a leak it will likely almost never need any added. FB

5. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

new to the internet thing, however, since i know not anywhere else to reply to your message, I will post here. I come to this site too help others out if i can. However, if they have the right to post a political comment in this topic, so do I.

whether its their little comment at the end of the there post, or its my reply to something, I see no difference. I merely stated my opinion on his opinion, nothing personal, nothing lost, nothing gained.

So, bottom line Stop any and all political comments on this particular "shop" forum . Or are you saying to me that this is a purely democratic site and when I make a comment to a political opinion that is posted in this forum that I am wrong and will be banned from this site?

If you delete my post, I will understand. Or if it needs to go to the general chat, move it there, and we can discuss this further in a gentleman fasion.

6. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Yes that is how it works

I've done a search on the make and model with no results except for a hit for E-Bay where someone is selling one. I have a jug of 140 wieght gear oil that should do it

Thanks! They are indeed filler caps .

7. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Thanks for the info

8. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Sorry Moo, I guess I should have disabled my sig line. :confused: