PTO Spreader

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by doc623, Sep 10, 2004.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Being limited in my knowledge in tractors and implements;
    is there such a thing as a pto driven 3 pt hitch fertilizer spreader?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, Herd is a good name, there are many other companies that import an Italian model & slap their name on it. (I just got one at a consignment auction, hope to use it this coming week.....) If you go to the Worksaver web page you can find an on-line manual, get an idea of what they will do.

Most are in the 500 lb size, and will spread many small seeds, as well as some spreading fertilizer & lime. You are money ahead to get a model with an agitator to keep the fertilizer flowing if that is the bulk of your work. Fert & especially lime like to 'bridge' over the openning & stop flowing.

If you need bigger, there are pto powered trailers that han handle up to several tons of fertilizer. Let us know what scale you are looking for. :)

--->Paul

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You can buy small one bushel size spreaders that just bolt to the draw bar. That size is good for sowing grass seed.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Bogballe is another, mines old but works fine. Odd name but I think that's spelled correctly. Keep them clean or they'll rust quickly.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

7. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Paul, you're not talking about the little propeller-like agitator that spins just above the opening are you - cause what you say about clogging happens very fast in both lime and even slightly humid fertilizer.

Is there some additional agitator that will let me spread ag lime from a 500lb cone type (Italian) spreader?

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

On the Worksaver pages, I found the following:

http://www.worksaver.com/seedman/csman.html

If you click on the bottom link about the 'agitator' parts, you will get a diagram & part number. I have no idea if this fits your or my model exactly, but it's something? If the link doesn't work (it was a frame, not sure you will get it right) then go to the worksaver.com page,click on seeders/spreaders on the left side,& click on the parts list of the first set of models.

I am printing out the manual, brochure, & parts diagrams right now as a matter of fact. :) 17 pages I think.

--->Paul

9. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input.
    Am looking for something smaller than the 500# size.