PTO Generators? Suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Well, after yet *another* commercial truck slammed into a power pole, its got me thinking about a PTO generator that I could hook up to a tractor.

I figure between that and hurricanes and winter storms (not to mention stupidity like the 2003 blackout that knocked out power to 50 million last year, which thankfully did not affect us) that maybe its a good idea.

Any recommendations on one?

1) The tractor - 42 horsepower at the PTO

2) The house - fairly standard power requirements(don't have to run everything at once, just need to be able to run anything needed)

3) Money available - Sadly, not that much. Everybody is in the same boat when it comes to that... :) so affordable recommendations only please.

4)Final considerations - Well, it should go without saying, but it needs to be durable, even if it only gets used during emergencies. Should also have spare parts available in case it does break. And be fairly self-maintaining, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

What's the RPM at the PTO?

3. Standard 540 RPM.

Sorry, forgot about that.

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

JMHO, but I would consider a self powered generator. I would figure out about how many watts you need to run the esentials, then add about 50 percent. In an extended outage, I don't think you would want to keep your tractor running for days on end.

5. I considered that, but in the end, most self-powered generators fall into two categories.

1)They are either lawn-mowers pretending to be a generator engine

2)Or they cost as much as a tractor itself if they have a decent engine

So, I think its better to let the tractor turn the generator.

6. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Skip the PTO unit, Get a self contained unit.

The PTO powered are good for short term portable power. For a long term outage you dont want to put all that wear and tear on the tractor engine.

size in either case wll depdend on the load you plan on using . WHat devices do you need to support during the outage. Most homes can live comfortable on 15-20Kw. If you have farm gear needing more power take that into consideration.

7. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

42 hp should run nearly 25 K of power. I have an 18KW and have run it with all my tractors. Down to a 35 hp. If you have a space you can even set up inside and just leave a little door for the shaft. I always wanted to do that but have not yet. What's the slickest is to use a big tractor, mine is about 93 hp. I use an adapt and run from the 1000 rpm shaft and idle tractor down to about 1200 to get correct speed. You could go for weeks like that. Tractor is just loafing at a fast idle. I can run a couple hours and gen is just warm to touch. The 35 hp is gas and not as smooth on the govener. When well kick on and I got everything going you can tell it on the exhaust note. Just my opinions. FB

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Buying used you should be able to locate a good generator (20 to 24 KW) from a chicken house or a dairy. These units seem to be better built than the home owner stuff sold today. There is not much of a demand for them. That size generator will power your entire home. Your tractor, as mentioned by Farmer Brown, will be able to handle one of these nicely. I strongly suggest that you buy a set of Murphy gauges to go on the tractor to protect it since it will be run unmanned. It is also convenient to have a fuel tank the size of what it on the tractor so that you are not constantly having to refill.