psuedorabies

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Pops2, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

i know pigs can carry it. isn't there a vaccine for it? if so is it a live vaccine?

2. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Yes, there is a vaccine, and it is typically a modified live virus vaccine given no fewer than 2 weeks prior to breeding to sows/gilts and boars.

Oftentimes, the pseudorabies vaccine also incorporates killed vaccinates for parvo, erysipelas and 6-way lepto. Vaccine is available through vets, we've used a Pfizer product in the past.

You should check with your vet or state extension service as to the current status of your state regarding pseudorabies. Many states have been declared pseudorabies free. Also, some states may have reimbursement programs to help recover some of the cost of vaccination.

In general, many swine diseases are highly communicable, and can be transmitted through and to other forms of livestock. A pseduorabies outbreak can destroy virtually all of a farm's young pigs.

As a long-time pork producer, I worry about the spread of diseases when we have an increasing number of farms\homesteads buying feeder pigs, trading the use of boars without any concerns toward a vaccination program for these and other diseases. Noone (other than a veterinarian) enters any of my hog buildings. The only outside hogs that come on my place are breeding boars, and they are kept in isolation for at least 30 days prior to being put in with any sows and/or gilts. In many states, there are strict laws about reintroducing both market hogs and breeding stock on farms other than their farm of origin.

3. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

i was hoping it was a dead vaccine. i'll be getting the chance to run my dog on wild hogs in TX in feb & was willing to risk a dead vaccine but i won't risk a live one on him.

4. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

My comments were regarding PRV for hogs. Best bet would be to check with a vet about vaccinating canines for PRV; I'm not sure whether they use a modified live or killed virus in the canine product.

5. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

thats just it they haven't developed a canine vaccine because most dogs aren't exposed to it. i was willing to risk a dead vaccine but a live one would be too dangerous.