Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a patch of raspberries growing on a bank behind a barn. Half of them produced large sweet berries, while the other half were small crumbly berries (we're assuming they have some sort of virus/blight). DH was thinking about pruning them, but we've read conflicting info about pruning the wild ones. So, should we prune, or just leave be?

We are planning on putting in a cultivated patch - it will be about 1000 ft away from the wild ones. Last year we moved here in May, and plopped a few canes in the bank with the wild ones, not knowing about diseases spreading - we'll see what happens with those...

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
For those small crumbly wild ones, you may as well grub them out. Like wild apples, they are the result of hybridization and will never improve. That's why raspberry propagation is either from cuttings or tissue culture, never from seed.

Martin

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
my raspberry patch are wild plants I moved closer to the house. I don't "prune" any actual cane, but I do remove the entire cane that finished producing any given year.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Cutting out the canes that have finished boring fruit cuts down on disease.

Propagation can be thru root suckers and tipping also.

RF

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone - that's now on the TODO list for this weekend! Appreciate it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts