Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Any idea what it cost in feed/hay/vet bills to get 21 months ? I've always heard that only having 1 comes out even, while 2 or more is a small profit.

·
STILL not Alice
22,665 Posts
Vertebrate Product Organism Cartoon Rectangle

GREAT JOB!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Jessica Bennett

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any idea what it cost in feed/hay/vet bills to get 21 months ? I've always heard that only having 1 comes out even, while 2 or more is a small profit.
No, but these were our first so we would have to figure fencing, everything to get started. We definately wouldn't make a profit. Just knowing how my beef was raised and what went into it. Maybe on the next round after a super long break. We are looking into ways to utilize our unused land to provide our own feed or hay.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I have raised a lot of beef. Holsteins gave out the best carcass yield for steaks and quality. I wouldn't recommend it for making money. But, for quality of the final product if you are the consumer....they are a worthwhile consideration.

Reactions: Pony

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congrats! I mean, that's an awesome number and everything, but I'm more proud of you that you were able to butcher them after raising them from a bottle lol!! We just butchered my bottle calf and I already miss him so much!

·
STILL not Alice
22,665 Posts
Congrats! I mean, that's an awesome number and everything, but I'm more proud of you that you were able to butcher them after raising them from a bottle lol!! We just butchered my bottle calf and I already miss him so much!
A little time for hanging, and then some white paper and a freezer between you, will help to soften the blow.

I felt kind of punky after we butchered our first bottle calf. I still do feel a loss whenever we harvest an animal. But when I am cooking the meat, well... I'm very grateful for wholesome, healthy food.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They were transported 12/27 so some time has passed but i was super upset. It was hard and i am tearing up writing this. The pasture is so empty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A little time for hanging, and then some white paper and a freezer between you, will help to soften the blow.

I felt kind of punky after we butchered our first bottle calf. I still do feel a loss whenever we harvest an animal. But when I am cooking the meat, well... I'm very grateful for wholesome, healthy food.
This is what I want to happen. And the hanging time has helped. I want to be proud and super grateful every time I cook. I do keep seeing them and their sweet faces though☹

·
Premium Member
30,076 Posts
Bottle calves often turn out to be big pushy butt-heads when they mature. IMO, it's better to end the relationship when they are still polite instead of waiting until they hurt someone.

·
Registered
219 Posts
They were transported 12/27 so some time has passed but i was super upset. It was hard and i am tearing up writing this. The pasture is so empty.
Aww I totally get that. I still miss my boy so much too. He went in with two other steers and a couple of our friends, and my boy weighed in at 1297lbs hanging! He was the heaviest in the group so I was super proud of him seeing as he was the only bottle baby lol.

·
STILL not Alice
22,665 Posts
Bottle calves often turn out to be big pushy butt-heads when they mature. IMO, it's better to end the relationship when they are still polite instead of waiting until they hurt someone.
I so agree with this!

Already, my new bottle calf is starting to get pushy. He'll be going in the buck pen soon, and I have promised myself a real hotstick just in case.

I don't relish the idea of using a hotstick, but in the past have had to zap the steers once or twice, using one of those flashlights that have the "taser" function. Those flashlights don't last long, and the zap is unreliable.

When it is time to harvest, I am sure I will be a bit relieved as well as sad. That's just the way it is.

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's so weird! Both of my bottle calves have been amazing lol! Fatman was always super chill. He was pretty leery of anyone he didn't know tho, so that didn't shock me. And my other one, GG, was always super good. He'd come running up to you, but he wouldn't run you over or anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts