Proud of my kid

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by vonettrich, Dec 2, 2006.

1. vonettrich

vonettrich Well-Known Member

There are days when I could just throttle my son, who just turned 15. He spends too much time on his computer and whines when I tell him to sign off, he gripes when he has to feed the dog, he fights getting a haircut tooth and nail, and I STILL have to remind him to brush his teeth at the ripe old age of 15. Nonetheless, I have to admit I'm really proud of him. This summer, he used money his grandfather gave him along with money he earned doing odd jobs for neighbors to buy a huge load of school supplies for the St Augustine's Indian Mission School. Because Target had really great school supply sales, i.e. 10 cents for a box of crayons or colored pencils, $6 for a case of notebooks, etc., he was able to buy a complete set of school supplies (crayons, colored pencils, colored markers, 3 notebooks, ruler, & glue) for 96 kids. Last spring, when the stores had winter clothing marked down, he bought 6 snowsuits and three dozen hats, scarves, and gloves, which we delivered at the end of October. He's already started collecting school supplies for next summer. After school started, Office Depot marked their bookbags down 75% and he talked the manager into giving him an additional 20% off, so he ended up with 36 bookbags for $2.00 apiece. (If nothing else, he's really learning how to hunt for bargains!)

Yesterday he asked me if we could donate the money we would normally spend on Christmas gifts for him to St Augustine's in memory of his grandmother. :angel: He said for $250 they could buy new science textbooks for a class and $485 would pay for a child's lunch for a school year. My husband and I were so impressed with his generosity, we decided we'd donate the money we've saved for Christmas gifts for the family so we can send enough to buy a child lunch for a year.

Despite the fact we have, in the past, spent far too much money on our son at Christmas time, buying him way, way more than he needs, he still managed to turn into a generous soul. I think I'm more grateful for that than anything else this year. Merry Christmas, everyone!

2. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a really good kid :) I love my DD15 too but some days!!! She has a hard time with the computer too.. and complains about chores... but i know where she is all the time and she's not out wandering the streets at least..
    I think it's the age..
    Your doing a good job though he sounds very generous!! I wonder how we can give to the community i would love to do that with my DD's..I was thinking food drives and stuff like that.

3. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Wow, I would be very proud of that kid. I would nominate him for a hometown hero award or something if I knew him. He has a great future ahead, what goes around comes aound, karma and all of those things. Merry Christmas

4. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Wow. He sounds like a great young man. Sounds like he may be headed for like as a minister, priest or missionary. You should be proud of yourselves too. Good children are raised by good parents.

5. vonettrich

Thanks for your kind words, but in my heart, I can't really believe I've been such a good parent. DS was 10 months old when I started law school and since I always felt guilty about putting him in daycare, I tended to overcompenstate by buying him just about anything he wanted. Christmas tended to be a lavish affair - on average I spent $1200 each Christmas on him. I started cutting back a few years ago, but even last year, I spent more on him than I should have, considering I'd been laid off and our income was cut in half. I felt that if I didn't buy him expensive presents like I had in the past, he wouldn't enjoy Christmas. So, you can imagine how amazed I was when he told me he doesn't really need anything for Christmas and wanted me to use that money for St Augustine's. I was expecting him to ask for for one of those outrageously priced PS3 (?) systems that are next to impossible to find or a new, faster laptop. The only thing he said he would like is for me to take him to the "Aragon" movie when it comes out and maybe out to dinner at Long John Silver's before the movie. So, for Christmas, we'll send the money to St Augustine's, go to Mass, and have a really nice dinner at home. I haven't look forward to Christmas this much in years.

6. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

I wish my 15 year old son would think about someone else. It's all about him right now. I love him but there are times when I don't like him. I hope we survive this age. I have a daughter who is 12 that sounds like your son. She would do anything for anyone. You should be VERY proud of your son.

7. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Oh how I wish my nephews were more like your son (they are wandering the streets at ungodly hours, both drink and smoke, plus my sister :( has "homeschooled" both of them since grade 6 for one and now 7 for the other--no she does no work with them, they are simply falling behind, getting dumber by the minute and very happy about it all) of course I washed my hands of that side of the family this year after she started buying them all the smokes and beer etc. they could ask for--dysfunctional is a light term for them. BUT they used to be sweet boys who were excited to give to the bell ringers, donate food to the shelter, donate to the humane society and buy presents for kids from the giving trees, but that was when I had 24hr. care of them and a few years back, they are now just 13 and 16. My 8 year old son does all the giving and donating like my nephews used to, and is really upset when I don't have change for the bell ringers, so I plan for that ahead of time :) It's amazing to me to see such young kids like your boy and mine who already have a the great capacity to put themselves in someone elses shoes and then follow it up with action. Bless you and your son for making it a point to change the lives of others. :):):):):)

8. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

What a great kid! Congrats on raising him right.

9. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

What a great story for this season.... he has the makings of a really great man, cause he appears to be a great young man.

How did he find out about this need?

Angie

10. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Yup thats a good kid....ain't it funny how sometimes you just think there is no way they are ever going to get it and wham they do stuff like that!!!

11. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

oooo I have a story too.....
    My ds who just turned 10 was watching the Sergeant York I rented him, heard it was great for kids his age....IT IS! Anyway he is watching it, loves it, DH is looking on, they get to the scene where the commander is trying to convince Alvin York to stay in the service. He talks about Daniel Boone, who founded Alvin's hometown, and asks why did he go off to start his own place like that, away from everyone else......well before anyone can say it, ds10 pipes up with "FREEDOM". Before anyone else can say it, even the movie.
    I am so proud of that kid.....all the talking and explaining has sunk in. He GETS IT!
    Now I know not everyone agrees with me, but the feeling is the same, it is so great when your kid understands something as big as your take on the purpose of this country.

12. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Oh you should be SO proud Vonettrich!

13. vonettrich

He found out about St Augustine's when he saw an article in the Omaha World Herald about the Children's Scholarship Fund. They had interviewed the priest who runs the mission school about receiving scholarships for some of their students. My son was surprised to find out that there is a Catholic school for Native American kids an hour and a half away from Omaha and said that he thought he'd find out if they needed school supplies that year. He had collected school supplies for a local school the year before but thought that since there are a number of charities in this area that hand out supplies to local children but no charities (that he knew of) that was doing the same thing for the kids at St Augustine's, he thought they might need to supplies more than the local school. He contacted the priest at St Augustine's to see if they needed the supplies and that's how he got to know Father Dave. Since then, he's focused his volunteer projects on doing things for St Augustine's.

14. crafty2002

crafty2002 Well-Known Member

You and your son are luckey to have the life you have, and he, as I am sure you have done by his out come, is one of God's few. You are both one in a million. But don't pat yourself on the back yet. As my husband says, the hard years are still ahead. Our daughtrer is 16 and dennis keeps his eye on her like a hauk. I truely pitty the boy that does her wrong. I really do. I also pity dennis and all of us after he goes off, LOL.
    SAGP

15. vonettrich

He found out about St Augustine's when he saw an article in the Omaha World Herald about the Children's Scholarship Fund. They had interviewed the priest who runs the mission school about receiving scholarships for some of their students. My son was surprised to find out that there is a Catholic school for Native American kids an hour and a half away from Omaha and said that he thought he'd find out if they needed school supplies that year. He had collected school supplies for a local school the year before but thought that since there are a number of charities in this area that hand out supplies to local children but no charities (that he knew of) that was doing the same thing for the kids at St Augustine's, he thought they might need to supplies more than the local school. He contacted the priest at St Augustine's to see if they needed the supplies and that's how he got to know Father Dave. Since then, he's focused his volunteer projects on doing things for St Augustine's.

16. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Thanks for the explanation. He does have good reasoning abilities...

I think he will go far... in a good way.

Angie

17. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow!!!! Id hug him so tight....What a guy!