Protein Tubs

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jwcinpk, Dec 25, 2004.

1. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

Local feed store is selling these molasses protein tubs for goats. Would they be beneficial? $12.95 each.

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

In my opinion NO. not sure I can explain why not tho.
    If you are feeding a good balanced feed and hay and loose minerals then in my opinion if you want to add protien you can better control it by spending the same amount of money buying Animax or Calf Mana and adding a very little to your feed. Now I think maybe the meat goat people use these tubs for fast growth of kids but am not sure. TOO MUCH protien and you will founder

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Perhaps they would have their place in a large commercial setup. But I would want the protein low and the energy high. I am not a fan of mollassas because it is soo often used to mask or coverup low quality products and fillers. Make sure the tub contains no urea. Make sure the goats have access to good hay and water, and then no I don't think they would hurt. But I do think there are those things that although they don't hurt, what are you going to add them for? At some point you have to look at your overall herd nutrition managment and say "when"!! If you keep adding this and that you won't be able to afford goats for very long. It can become one expenisve compicated hobby!

Here the answer is no, unless your goal is the biggest bestest fire ants :) Vicki

4. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

I have used a couple just as treats! I'm not gonna get any more because they caused quite a ruckus. They love the mollasses, but it gave them the runs. At 12.95 each I think I'd rather just give them a little more feed or save the money and fence more ground for them.

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

yep fencing sounds really good to me